* [9fans] ape compiler error, IND CHAR and INT
@ 2012-01-18 18:37 John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2012-01-18 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I figured I'd try building Python from the source on their website
just for kicks. Configure went ok, but when I went to run "make", it
soon bailed out with this error:

cc -c -OPT:Olimit=0 -g -DNDEBUG -O  -I. -IInclude -I./Include
-DPy_BUILD_CORE -o Parser/grammar.o Parser/grammar.c
cc: flag -P ignored
cc: flag -: ignored
cc: can't find library for -l
/usr/john/Python-2.7.2/Parser/grammar.c:46[stdin:12906] incompatible
types: "IND CHAR" and "INT" for op "AS"
/usr/john/Python-2.7.2/Parser/grammar.c:108[stdin:12968] incompatible
types: "IND CHAR" and "INT" for op "AS"
cc: cpp: 8c 896765: error
*** Error code 1
#

The offending lines are these:

    d->d_name = strdup(name);
and
    lb->lb_str = strdup(str);

d_name and lb_str are both defined as char*, and strdup is supposed to
return a char*. However, if I'm reading that error message correctly,
it thinks strdup is trying to return a char*. Does anyone recognize
what's going on?

Thanks

John

* Re: [9fans] ape compiler error, IND CHAR and INT
@ 2012-01-18 18:46 ` Martin Harriss
From: Martin Harriss @ 2012-01-18 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

John Floren wrote:
> I figured I'd try building Python from the source on their website
> just for kicks. Configure went ok, but when I went to run "make", it
> soon bailed out with this error:
>
> cc -c -OPT:Olimit=0 -g -DNDEBUG -O  -I. -IInclude -I./Include
> -DPy_BUILD_CORE -o Parser/grammar.o Parser/grammar.c
> cc: flag -P ignored
> cc: flag -: ignored
> cc: can't find library for -l
> /usr/john/Python-2.7.2/Parser/grammar.c:46[stdin:12906] incompatible
> types: "IND CHAR" and "INT" for op "AS"
> /usr/john/Python-2.7.2/Parser/grammar.c:108[stdin:12968] incompatible
> types: "IND CHAR" and "INT" for op "AS"
> cc: cpp: 8c 896765: error
> *** Error code 1
> #
>
> The offending lines are these:
>
>     d->d_name = strdup(name);
> and
>     lb->lb_str = strdup(str);
>
> d_name and lb_str are both defined as char*, and strdup is supposed to
> return a char*. However, if I'm reading that error message correctly,
> it thinks strdup is trying to return a char*. Does anyone recognize
> what's going on?

No declaration in scope for the string functions, compiler thinks they
return INT?

Martin

* Re: [9fans] ape compiler error, IND CHAR and INT
@ 2012-01-18 18:55   ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2012-01-18 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 10:46 AM, Martin Harriss <martin@princeton.edu> wrote:
> John Floren wrote:
>>
>> I figured I'd try building Python from the source on their website
>> just for kicks. Configure went ok, but when I went to run "make", it
>> soon bailed out with this error:
>>
>> cc -c -OPT:Olimit=0 -g -DNDEBUG -O  -I. -IInclude -I./Include
>> -DPy_BUILD_CORE -o Parser/grammar.o Parser/grammar.c
>> cc: flag -P ignored
>> cc: flag -: ignored
>> cc: can't find library for -l
>> /usr/john/Python-2.7.2/Parser/grammar.c:46[stdin:12906] incompatible
>> types: "IND CHAR" and "INT" for op "AS"
>> /usr/john/Python-2.7.2/Parser/grammar.c:108[stdin:12968] incompatible
>> types: "IND CHAR" and "INT" for op "AS"
>> cc: cpp: 8c 896765: error
>> *** Error code 1
>> #
>>
>> The offending lines are these:
>>
>>    d->d_name = strdup(name);
>> and
>>    lb->lb_str = strdup(str);
>>
>> d_name and lb_str are both defined as char*, and strdup is supposed to
>> return a char*. However, if I'm reading that error message correctly,
>> it thinks strdup is trying to return a char*. Does anyone recognize
>> what's going on?
>

> No declaration in scope for the string functions, compiler thinks they
> return INT?
>
> Martin

Yup, I r dum, needed a -D_BSD_EXTENSION in my flags to make string.h
behave right.

* Re: [9fans] ape compiler error, IND CHAR and INT
@ 2012-01-18 19:52     ` steve
From: steve @ 2012-01-18 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I think you want

Sent from my iPad

@ 2012-01-23  6:47     ` Jens Staal
From: Jens Staal @ 2012-01-23  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2012/1/18 John Floren <john@jfloren.net>:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 10:46 AM, Martin Harriss <martin@princeton.edu> wrote:
>> John Floren wrote:
>>>
>>> I figured I'd try building Python from the source on their website
>>> just for kicks. Configure went ok, but when I went to run "make", it
>>> soon bailed out with this error:
>>>
>>> cc -c -OPT:Olimit=0 -g -DNDEBUG -O  -I. -IInclude -I./Include
>>> -DPy_BUILD_CORE -o Parser/grammar.o Parser/grammar.c
>>> cc: flag -P ignored
>>> cc: flag -: ignored
>>> cc: can't find library for -l
>>> /usr/john/Python-2.7.2/Parser/grammar.c:46[stdin:12906] incompatible
>>> types: "IND CHAR" and "INT" for op "AS"
>>> /usr/john/Python-2.7.2/Parser/grammar.c:108[stdin:12968] incompatible
>>> types: "IND CHAR" and "INT" for op "AS"
>>> cc: cpp: 8c 896765: error
>>> *** Error code 1
>>> #
>>>
>>> The offending lines are these:
>>>
>>>    d->d_name = strdup(name);
>>> and
>>>    lb->lb_str = strdup(str);
>>>
>>> d_name and lb_str are both defined as char*, and strdup is supposed to
>>> return a char*. However, if I'm reading that error message correctly,
>>> it thinks strdup is trying to return a char*. Does anyone recognize
>>> what's going on?
>>

>> No declaration in scope for the string functions, compiler thinks they
>> return INT?
>>
>> Martin
>>

> Yup, I r dum, needed a -D_BSD_EXTENSION in my flags to make string.h
> behave right.

I have a similar issue with BaCon (a ksh script converting BASIC code
to C), a modified version running under APE sh can be found here:

http://code.google.com/p/ports2plan9/source/browse/BaCon

Also this one has the problem 'incompatible types "IND CONST CHAR" and
"INT" for op "AS"'

and I have not been able to track down exactly where in the script
that the erroneous code gets generated.

issue described here:
http://code.google.com/p/ports2plan9/issues/detail?id=1

I have already added the -D_BSD_EXTENSION in the CFLAGS in the script.

* Re: [9fans] ape compiler error, IND CHAR and INT
@ 2012-01-23  8:13       ` steve
From: steve @ 2012-01-23  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I must have missed that one,
From your old report it seems tr problem is at line 432 of test1.bac.h

Can you reproduce the error?

-Steve

@ 2012-01-23  8:30         ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2012-01-23  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

dlerror isn't declared, and isn't a standard function

@ 2012-01-23  8:37         ` Jens Staal
       [not found]           ` <CAOw7k5hX5p4-9gtHhGf4Zs=kpJGLOjA9ZEbyXigC2=jBkZKnAw@mail.gmail.c>
From: Jens Staal @ 2012-01-23  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I get the same error no matter which BASIC file that gets generated to C
and it is put in the generated header file (at different row numbers,
ofcourse. I used test1 as use case to try to track it down), so there is
some sort of typedef inconsistency in there somewhere. I believe that it
has something to do with strndup and the "switch" function in the
generated header, but I am not sure exactly what.

@ 2012-01-23  8:59           ` Charles Forsyth
       [not found]           ` <CAOw7k5hX5p4-9gtHhGf4Zs=kpJGLOjA9ZEbyXigC2=jBkZKnAw@mail.gmail.c>
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2012-01-23  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The line number is off-by-one, for some reason, but since the operation is
AS (assign), and since the assignment from dlerror is on the next line, and
dlerror won't be declared anywhere, that's most likely to be the problem.

@ 2012-01-23 15:16             ` erik quanstrom
       [not found]               ` <CAK8RtFrxef6Pj149vK56Djjqd2tnh9gOXkYkYqp7LNqzSCmJ8w@mail.gmail.c>
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-01-23 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: charles.forsyth, 9fans

> The line number is off-by-one, for some reason, but since the operation is
> AS (assign), and since the assignment from dlerror is on the next line, and
> dlerror won't be declared anywhere, that's most likely to be the problem.

i think the compiler eats the newline sometimes when there's a // comment
on a preprocessor line.

i thought i submitted a fix for this.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] ape compiler error, IND CHAR and INT
@ 2012-01-24  4:43               ` Jens Staal
       [not found]               ` <CAK8RtFrxef6Pj149vK56Djjqd2tnh9gOXkYkYqp7LNqzSCmJ8w@mail.gmail.c>
From: Jens Staal @ 2012-01-24  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks for the feedback!

The dlerror was indeed the culprit and now my errors have jumped to:

"
<eof> syntax error, last name: 0
pcc: cpp: 469: error
"

, presumably in the generated .c file.

Where can I find info about the "469" error and how do I know where
the error occurred? (previously I have had more informative "last
names" to jump to...)

I also added the "-+" to CFLAGS. I have no idea if this may help with
the problems with // comments.

@ 2012-01-24  4:48                 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-01-24  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Thanks for the feedback!
>
> The dlerror was indeed the culprit and now my errors have jumped to:
>
> "
> <eof> syntax error, last name: 0
> pcc: cpp: 469: error
> "
>
> , presumably in the generated .c file.
>
> Where can I find info about the "469" error and how do I know where
> the error occurred? (previously I have had more informative "last
> names" to jump to...)

469 is the line number.  the last (qualifying) successfully parsed bit was the
digit 0, misleadingly called a "name".  punctuation obviously does not
qualify as a name.

- erik

From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-01-24  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

       [not found] <CAL4LZyjWRc0MtE5bGV35c18_JV8PjAaWUMpP1gZbdcYa26pX8A@mail.gmail.c>
@ 2012-01-18 18:45 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-01-18 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> cc -c -OPT:Olimit=0 -g -DNDEBUG -O  -I. -IInclude -I./Include
> -DPy_BUILD_CORE -o Parser/grammar.o Parser/grammar.c
> cc: flag -P ignored
> cc: flag -: ignored
> cc: can't find library for -l
> /usr/john/Python-2.7.2/Parser/grammar.c:46[stdin:12906] incompatible
> types: "IND CHAR" and "INT" for op "AS"
> /usr/john/Python-2.7.2/Parser/grammar.c:108[stdin:12968] incompatible
> types: "IND CHAR" and "INT" for op "AS"
> cc: cpp: 8c 896765: error
> *** Error code 1

those compiler flags are utterly bogus.  you may wish to
fix that before looking at the error messages.

- erik