* [9fans] Can't find device/source/image
@ 2006-09-09 15:46 Chuck Foreman
From: Chuck Foreman @ 2006-09-09 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hallo,

I've been trying to boot/install from CD.  The default is IDE slave
(sdC1) but it doesn't go any further!
I've put it in manually but it doesn't take it.. in fact it acts as
if it's in some kind of limbo state.
[back space will letter-by-letter kill the prompt ..odd letters
pop-up with the arrow keys ]

my screen looks like this...

**************************
PBSI... Plan 9 from Bell Labs

ELCR: 0800

apm ax=f000 c=f000 dx=f000 di=ffff ebx=9355 esi=ffff

dev A0 port 1F0 config 045A capabilities 2B00 mwdma 0407 udma 003f

boot devices: fd0

boot from:

************************
I looked at my boot disk and there is a file "bootdisk.img" amon
others but no 9plan.ini  gz etc....

Anything obvious? I guess I could do this via the floppy? My problem
is (laptop) I can have a CD or a floppy but not both. I've left 7GB
undefined and a free primary. I have linux on this box already..
I can use LILO to reference the partition to boot (dual boot)  right?

Any insight is appreciated!

* [9fans] Can't find device/source/image
@ 2006-09-09 16:50 ` Chuck Foreman
From: Chuck Foreman @ 2006-09-09 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hallo,

I think I found this in install "errata"
OK

Open issues:
9load wont detect your IDE CD-ROM reader device if it's not set as
Primary or Secondary Master. Workaround: set your cd-rom as Secondary Master.

Sorry to be a bother.. . I guess primary/secondary master ..you can
set with external jumpers.. my CD is
hot/swap in a Laptop... mmmhhh

Thanks

* Re: [9fans] Can't find device/source/image
@ 2006-09-09 17:02 ` Benn Newman
From: Benn Newman @ 2006-09-09 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Chuck Foreman said:
> Hallo,
Hallo,

> I think I found this in install "errata"
> OK
>
> Open issues:
> 9load wont detect your IDE CD-ROM reader device if it's not set as
> Primary or Secondary Master. Workaround: set your cd-rom as Secondary
> Master.
>
> Sorry to be a bother.. . I guess primary/secondary master ..you can
> set with external jumpers.. my CD is
> hot/swap in a Laptop... mmmhhh
>
> Thanks
You could also try setting up a boot floppy. Unless you have a silly
laptop that does not one.
--
Benn Newman