* Re: [9fans] 3rd edition download..
       [not found] <200006081539.LAA27536@smtp1.fas.harvard.edu>
@ 2000-06-09  8:40 ` Tom E Arnold
From: Tom E Arnold @ 2000-06-09  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

> Apparently Netscape is not particularly good
> at this (at least when talking to our web server).
> You might try a different browser (Opera or IE5
> under Windows) and see if that helps, at least
> with the restartability.

IE did better than Netscape; died after 26 meg rather than the 3 to 4
meg that was the most Netscape could do. Are there any ftp sites where I
could get it? For me, at least, ftp runs faster and more reliably than a
browser download.

--
TTom/
 My current neighborhood:

* Re: [9fans] 3rd edition download..
@ 2000-06-12 10:00   ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2000-06-12 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Tom E Arnold wrote:
> IE did better than Netscape; died after 26 meg rather than the 3 to 4
> meg that was the most Netscape could do.

If your target host for the installation has a supported network
configuration, all you need to download is the 1.44MB floppy;
during installation you can obtain the rest via the Internet,
and that method also knows how to resume disrupted downloads.

* Re: [9fans] 3rd edition download..
@ 2000-06-12  9:58 ` Tom E Arnold
From: Tom E Arnold @ 2000-06-12  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

presotto@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

> Because of the need to agree to the licensing and export controls, its
> not available on an ftp side.  Wget(linux) and GetRight(windows) both seem
> able to get the thing incrementally, especially since I fixed my bug.

Sounds reasonable. There's also the need to go to the Web site to
generate the boot disk. You could then issue a password for
non-anonymous ftp, but I'm downloading from
http://www.getright.com/get.html at this very moment.

--

@ 2000-06-09 15:18 presotto
From: presotto @ 2000-06-09 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Because of the need to agree to the licensing and export controls, its
not available on an ftp side.  Wget(linux) and GetRight(windows) both seem
able to get the thing incrementally, especially since I fixed my bug.

* [9fans] 3rd edition download..
@ 2000-06-08 15:36 rsc
From: rsc @ 2000-06-08 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

The network is having a hard time keeping
up with all the downloads.  If you have a supported
ethernet card, the download program on the floppy
is good at redialing and starting where it left off.

Apparently Netscape is not particularly good
at this (at least when talking to our web server).
You might try a different browser (Opera or IE5
under Windows) and see if that helps, at least
with the restartability.

Russ

* [9fans] 3rd edition download..
@ 2000-06-08 15:19 Ish
From: Ish @ 2000-06-08 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

While downloading the `distribution archive' the operation is stopped
arbitrarily. I tried it under both Linux and Solaris with the same result.

Is the problem on server side (too many connections..) or my side?

Any pointers?

- ishwar