* [9fans] A big thanks and some random questions
@ 2000-06-10  2:37 Fariborz (Skip) Tavakkolian
From: Fariborz (Skip) Tavakkolian @ 2000-06-10  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks to everyone involved with the Plan 9 release; Thanks for sharing
all your wonderful work.

I was playing with mapdemo. It seems that the /lib/map directory
is missing. I assume this is due to copyright issues, and I have get
it from somewhere else?

Also, there does not seem to be any sign of mothra or charon. Is there an
HTML layout filter that I can use with uget? Any thoughts about what the
right way of doing it would be, to use inside acme?

P.S.
The new installation process is very nice.

* Re: [9fans] A big thanks and some random questions
@ 2000-06-12 10:08 ` Dennis Ritchie
From: Dennis Ritchie @ 2000-06-12 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Fariborz Skip Tavakkolian wrote:

> I was playing with mapdemo. It seems that the /lib/map directory
> is missing. I assume this is due to copyright issues, and I have get
> it from somewhere else?

    p9C; cd /lib/map; du -s
    18545	.

18MB here, 18MB there, pretty soon we're talking really
long download times.

* Re: [9fans] A big thanks and some random questions
@ 2000-06-10  5:35 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2000-06-10  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

To make the download more manageable, we left out some
of the publicly available databases that struck us as being of low
value for their size.  /lib/map is one example; the files come
from U.S. Government data so there's no copyright issue, but it's
a huge pile of stuff that most people don't use so we left it out.

The web browser story is different.  If there exists a production-quality
browser available in source form, including all important plug-ins,
someone could make it run under Plan 9.  However, as you hint, such
a program would not really use the system to its fullest; other
options may be worth pursuing.

-rob