* Re: [9fans] Hello and some Plan 9 network configuration questions
       [not found] <md5:0CA334C8EBF58CE9D13827D7E9BFF909>
@ 2000-06-13 11:18 ` James G. Stallings II
From: James G. Stallings II @ 2000-06-13 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox; +Cc: 9fans

Thanks Russ!

Will be putting this inplace today. Have read start.html exhaustively
(it got me through setting up a new user) but it gets a little bit
vaugue on some of the networking. Probably great for someone moderately
familiar with Plan 9...

Thanks for the tip concerning the "nvram" and floppy.

Note that I'm setting up the standalone box to develop a driver for the
voodoo 3 agp - I want to run it on something more substantial than a 486
in "production".

The 192.168.0.0 net is a class B private network - I guess I need to
describe the supernet in ndb as well? Haven't read ndb(2) yet - will ref
it today.

Thanks Russ-
James

Russ Cox wrote:

> A good question.  You should refer to
> plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/start.pdf (or start.html)
> but I'll make a few comments too.
>
> The use of a single Plan 9 box for
> everything is officially discouraged,
> but understandable.  I was trying to
> figure out how to massage things to
> do that in a similar situation earlier
> this evening.
>
> To create some nvram,
>         dd -bs 512 -count 1 </dev/zero >plan9.nvr
> and copy that to the floppy that you're
> booting from.  (Yes, unfortunately you
> have to boot from a floppy to run a cpu
> server currently.  Otherwise it will not
> find the nvram file.  That's a bug.)
>
> Then when you boot you'll be prompted
> for the appropriate information.
>
> The Plan 9 install makes a box that is
> fairly locked down, rather than wide open.
> You have to explicitly turn on the more
> sketchy services.
>
> As for your network, you want something like:
>
> ipnet=home-net ip=192.168.1.0 ipmask=255.255.255.0
>         dns=151.164.1.7
>         dns=151.164.1.8
>         ipgw=192.168.1.254
>         auth=plan9
>         cpu=plan9
>
> ip=192.168.1.1 sys=nitro
> ip=192.168.1.2 sys=plastique
> ip=192.168.1.3 sys=dock
> ip=192.168.1.4 sys=tor
> ip=192.168.1.7 sys=plan9 proto=il
>
> I could be wrong, but I think 192 is a default
> class C network.  If it is a class B address, you would need
>
> ipnet=big-net ip=192.168.0.0 ipmask=255.255.0.0
>         ipsubmask=255.255.255.0
>
> too, because the network search starts at the
> default network and works its way down.  It's
> described in ndb(2) and start.html.
>
> Russ

http://im.yahoo.com

* Re: [9fans] Hello and some Plan 9 network configuration questions
@ 2000-06-13  5:53 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-06-13  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alteridentity, 9fans

@ 2000-06-13  3:43 James G. Stallings II
From: James G. Stallings II @ 2000-06-13  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello!

I found this list via the Plan 9 FAQ, on USEnet.

I've subscribed because I've been a Plan 9 convert for three days now
and I've gotten far enough along that I need to start asking
infrastructure questions. While I'm on the subject, I was able to get so
far because of Jim (jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com). Thanks Jim!

Here's the deal: I put together an old clunker 486 box as follows:

unknown VLB MB
486DX 66 Cyrix
32 MB RAM
541 MB HD
SB16 Audio
Speedstar64 VGA with about 511MB memory (some pixels drop out sometimes
;^)
Linksys Ether16CT 10BT NIC (NE2K Clone)
Standard isssue KB, Ser Mouse (2 button),  FDD, IDE CDR

I've got it up and running most of the way; networking worked when I
installed but I've since broken it. I can't get 'cpu' to run and I think
its because of the networking. Authentication seems to work but there's
no nvram so I have to type the password a lot when generating keys and
starting keyfs. I've successuflly added a new user, and if it weren't
for the broken network config I'd probably have a plan 9 box sitting
there on the net wide open (ok, because it's a private network).

My goals are to incorporate the Plan 9 box into my existing network, and
use it as a starting point for increased plan 9 prominence ;^) I'd like
to play around with sharing files with other boxen on the network,
running linux and win32 oses.

For now I need to configure the Plan 9 box (plan9) as a standalone Plan
9 host, serving the terminal, fileserver, auth server, and cpu server.

the existing topology is like this:

192.168.1.1 nitro - a quick win95/redhat dual boot box w/voodoo 3 agp
192.168.1.2 plastique - debian fileserver on 32M/P166
192.168.1.3 dock - winnt laptop
192.168.1.4 tor - win95 box in kitchen

gateway is 192.168.1.254
dns is at 151.164.1.7 and 151.164.1.8

and the new edition:

192.168.1.7 plan9 - Plan 9 experimental/developement platform

Could someone perhaps show me how to set up /lib/ndb/local* to implement
this flat class C network?

All comments/suggestions/instruction appreciated!

References to documentation welcomed!

I'm aware that a lot of this may be FAQ but I'm still working my way
throught that and I'd like to address my networking asap.

Thanks for your patience -
James

http://im.yahoo.com