* [9fans] pcmcia question
@ 2000-06-13 10:52 Jean Mehat
From: Jean Mehat @ 2000-06-13 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Plan 9 is up and running on a Nec versa note.
The installation was reasonnably easy (except when kfs got an error, in the
boot process I was asked if I would like to ream it, but was not given a
chance to answer yes; i reamed it via the install floppy, /386/init disappeared
and I re-installed from scratch).

Plan 9 can't be booted via the FreeBSD boot loader.

When booting, Plan 9 finds a pcmcia controller (?) as a 82c365, while FreeBSD
recognize it as a 82c146. Anyone knows how compatible they are? Do I have any
chance to have my Accton NE2000 compatible ethernet card working ?

* Re: [9fans] pcmcia question
@ 2000-06-13 10:59 ` Nigel Roles
From: Nigel Roles @ 2000-06-13 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Oooh. Interesting. Which video chip is it, and what is your screen
resolution? I have a NEC versa-lite.

Thanks,

Nigel Roles

@ 2000-06-13 13:16 jmk
From: jmk @ 2000-06-13 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	When booting, Plan 9 finds a pcmcia controller (?) as a 82c365, while FreeBSD
	recognize it as a 82c146. Anyone knows how compatible they are? Do I have any
	chance to have my Accton NE2000 compatible ethernet card working ?

Plan 9 doesn't make much effort to delve into the depths of the PCMCIA
controller, if it walks like an 82C365 and talks like an 82C365 then it is
an 82C365. Cirrus Logic and Vadem controllers are also recognised as they
require slightly different initial configuration by the driver.

Please mail me the output of the aux/pcmcia command so we can try to get
your Accton card working (I'd also like the exact model number of the card
for reference). If your card is in slot 1 of a dual PCMCIA controller
the command would be
	aux/pcmcia '#y/pcm1attr'

--jim

* Re: [9fans] pcmcia question
@ 2000-06-13 12:08 Jean Mehat
From: Jean Mehat @ 2000-06-13 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, ngr

> Oooh. Interesting. Which video chip is it, and what is your screen
> resolution? I have a NEC versa-lite.

aux/vga -p says a MagicGraph 128XD 40K
X11 says a NeoMagic NM2160 rev 1.

It works fine in 1024x768x8.