* [9fans] A bunch of disparate questions about things I seemed to have missed
@ 2000-06-14  0:12 James G. Stallings II
From: James G. Stallings II @ 2000-06-14  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Greetings, 9fans.

I got a whole bunch of little questions for ya.

This stuff really ought to be FAQ, but I didn't see it anywhere.

Here's tonight's top 10:

1. I have a two button mouse. Is it the middle button I dont have that
operates cut and paste?
2. A web browser seems to be missing for the terminal server (did I
state that right? :) whassup with that?
3. Are there user groups? Who's got the big list? is there one in the
Houston area?
4. Where can I learn to type 8 1/2 in unicode? (did I ask that right? :)

5.  Can Plan 9 help me kick tobacco?
6. Does a working configuration provide free beer?
7. I seem to have a good /lib/ndb/ configuration going (thanks
presotto!) but still I got network issues. What other things should I
investigate & tweak?
8. Provided I do the required configuration work, can my (properly
configured) Plan 9 system see ftp stuff on my linux boxen in an
authorized user's namespace?
9. Is there a Plan 9 FAQ-O-MATIC anywhere?

and finally

10.  Can rc grok lojban?

I have some heady observations about Plan 9, the most of which are very
positive. However I wish to learn more about it before I make them
available. I have all ideas that my impressions will improve still more
with better understanding of the technology.

Cheers!
James

http://im.yahoo.com

* Re: [9fans] A bunch of disparate questions about things I seemed to have missed
@ 2000-06-14  0:58 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2000-06-14  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	1. I have a two button mouse. Is it the middle button I dont have that
	operates cut and paste?
Yes.  Plan 9 really works well only with a three-button mouse.
In the meantime, Shift-Right-button will simulate a middle button,
but that is inadequate for Acme.

	2. A web browser seems to be missing for the terminal server (did I
	state that right? :) whassup with that?
It's a very long story, but the short version is that yes, it's missing.
We hope to provide one before too long, but don't let that hold
you back if you have an idea.

	3. Are there user groups? Who's got the big list? is there one in the
	Houston area?
Someone mentioned Austin.  That's nearby, for Texas.

	4. Where can I learn to type 8 1/2 in unicode? (did I ask that right? :)
man 6 keyboard or http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/6/keyboard

	5.  Can Plan 9 help me kick tobacco?
Probably not. It hasn't help us kick coffee.

	6. Does a working configuration provide free beer?
Only if you have at least one I/O device we don't support.

	7. I seem to have a good /lib/ndb/ configuration going (thanks
	presotto!) but still I got network issues. What other things should I
	investigate & tweak?
Whatever seems like fun.  But first, go to the store and buy a 3-button
mouse.

	8. Provided I do the required configuration work, can my (properly
	configured) Plan 9 system see ftp stuff on my linux boxen in an
	authorized user's namespace?
Yes.

	9. Is there a Plan 9 FAQ-O-MATIC anywhere?
The Plan 9 FAQ needs work.

	and finally

	10.  Can rc grok lojban?
Perhaps.