* [9fans] Is this weird?
@ 2000-06-14 16:58 James G. Stallings II
From: James G. Stallings II @ 2000-06-14 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have some duplicate directory entries under /net. Things like arp,
bootp, ether0, icmp, il - in fact most of them have two identical
entries in the /net directory.

Is that normal? I can determine no difference between the instances of
the duplicate entries.

Thanks,
James

http://im.yahoo.com

* Re: [9fans] Is this weird?
@ 2000-06-14 17:26 ` Alexander Viro
From: Alexander Viro @ 2000-06-14 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, James G. Stallings II wrote:

> I have some duplicate directory entries under /net. Things like arp,
> bootp, ether0, icmp, il - in fact most of them have two identical
> entries in the /net directory.
>
> Is that normal? I can determine no difference between the instances of
> the duplicate entries.

mountpoint and root of mounted tree, you mean? That had been there since
long.

BTW, what was the rationale for that behaviour?

* Re: [9fans] Is this weird?
@ 2000-06-14 17:36   ` James G. Stallings II
From: James G. Stallings II @ 2000-06-14 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Uh, sorry but yo kind of lost me there Alex.

Please reload and take another shot at that.

Thanks!
James

@ 2000-06-15  5:57   ` C H Forsyth
From: C H Forsyth @ 2000-06-15  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

oh i see.  the implications of the name.
it seems consistent with definition 1 in the OED, but
set union analogies might mislead,
depending on what you think it's uniting.

perhaps it's an autonomous collective.

> > presumably, because it's telling the truth: in the union, all those
> > instances are there if you look at it.
>
> Erm... It's not exactly a union.

* Re: [9fans] Is this weird?
@ 2000-06-14 23:48 presotto
From: presotto @ 2000-06-14 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Just run 'ns' and see how your namespace is put together.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4713 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 197 bytes --]

Do an ls -lq.  If the files are identical, not just have the same name,
it means you've mounted the services multiple times.  If the names
are the same but not the qids, I'm confused.

-rob

[-- Attachment #2.1.2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2991 bytes --]

From: "James G. Stallings II" <alteridentity@yahoo.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 12:55:50 -0500

forsyth@vitanuova.com wrote:

> >>BTW, what was the rationale for that behaviour?
>
> presumably, because it's telling the truth: in the union, all those
> instances are there if you look at it.

Maybe you guys misunderstood the question. Basicall I'm getting a
directory listing (lc) which seems to have multiple entries for the same
file. Like this:

plan9% lc /net
arp                ether0                ipifc             ipselftab
ssl
arp                gre                      ipifc
log             tcp
bootp            gre                      ipmux         log
tcp
bootp            icmp                   ipmux         ndb            udp

cs                  icmp                   iproute        ndb
udp
dns                il                          iproute        rudp
ether0          il                          ipselftab      rudp

plan9%

ls -l yields similar behaviour excepting the anticipated formatting
changes and level of detail.

I have encountered no other portions of the namespace with these
characteristics. If this were a UNIX filesystem of some sort, I'd be
highly suspicious of this listing - but Plan 9 is not a Unix.

Does your /net resemble this, or have I hosed something trying to
configure my networking?

Thanks and Best Regards,
James

http://im.yahoo.com

* Re: [9fans] Is this weird?
@ 2000-06-14 19:32 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-06-14 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>Maybe you guys misunderstood the question. Basicall I'm getting a

sorry.  we ought to have answered your question before starting
a subdiscussion.  when you list a union mount, you'll see the contents
of each directory in turn.  in particular, if you unite a directory with itself,
however many times, you'll see the files in each instance (ie, names repeated).
try something like

	mkdir m
	>m/x
	bind -b m m
	ls m
	bind -b m m
	ls m

in your case, as rob suggested, you've most likely done something that
caused /net to be bound to itself.  i'd guess that, not #I alone
being bound twice, because ether0 (#l) is there as well.

often when the same names appear, they really do come from different
directories in the union.  ls -q prints Qid data that helps to distinguish
them, hence rob's suggestion of ls -lq.  in your case, duplicate names
should have the same qids (because they are the same file).
another helpful option is -n, which tells ls not to sort the result, so names
appear in the order they are seen in the union, allowing you to tell which
duplicate is uppermost (and thus selected by the system in a search).

* Re: [9fans] Is this weird?
@ 2000-06-14 18:52 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2000-06-14 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Do an ls -lq.  If the files are identical, not just have the same name,
it means you've mounted the services multiple times.  If the names
are the same but not the qids, I'm confused.

-rob

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2991 bytes --]

From: "James G. Stallings II" <alteridentity@yahoo.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 12:55:50 -0500

@ 2000-06-14 18:39 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-06-14 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The problem is that '#l0' and '#I' have
been bound onto the directory twice.

You can type "ns" to confirm that,
and poking around at how the namespace
is constructed might help track it down.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Is this weird?
@ 2000-06-14 18:31   ` Andrey Mirtchovski
From: Andrey Mirtchovski @ 2000-06-14 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Please take a look at:

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/names.html

I think you will find the answer there (or rather something that explains
it to an extent)..

Andrey

* Re: [9fans] Is this weird?
@ 2000-06-14 17:56 ` Alexander Viro