* [9fans] semi-crash while low on memory
@ 2000-06-20  2:39 andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2000-06-20  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I received my second crash (kind of) yesterday while trying:

for (i in /sys/doc/*.ps) { window page $i }

I have allowed 128 megs of ram (together with swap) for my plan9
installation, which is still in
a single-machine state with no separata cpu/file servers.

After I executed the above, while watching the memory consumption grow
slowly on 'stats', I
was able to switch terminals and even execute acme, however after the
thrashing  onset
nothing more will run. Rio/stats/acme/terminals were responding, albeit
slowly, but no new
programs could be started.

I left the machine for about a minute to get a cup of coffee (*cough*)
and when I came back
on top of rio the console was spitting messasges of the sort:

lock key loop 0xdeaddead [?] pc 0x8011674c held by pc 0x80116dfb proc
8584
8497: page pc 8014f8e5 d bg pc 15396 ... (Running) ut 0 st 13811 bss 2b
000 gpc
8016ec89

scrolling down constantly (together with other info I couldn't write
down)... The only
solution seemed to be rebooting.

Unfortunately I was unable to reproduce the problem since any
consecutive attempts resulted
in mere thrashing but no errors.

Hope I am helpful with this: Andrey

PS: The Error Message above is not 100% correct since I wrote it down in
haste. The questionmark in there did not appear in the original :)

only message in thread, other threads:[~2000-06-20  2:39 UTC | newest]