* [9fans] kfs and unknown command plus dossrv
@ 2000-06-26 19:49 ` R. J. Bradley
From: R. J. Bradley @ 2000-06-26 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I have occasionaly turned my machine off without issuing disk/kfscmd halt
and I seem to some random corruption appear in files from time to time.
Its in files that I am not writing to so I wouldnt have though there would
be a problem with data not being flushed to disk. It shows itself up as
the string 'unknown command' being inserted into various files. I found
quite a lot in the headers in /sys/include which stoped me compiling till
I could copy accross new headers.

Is kds realy this sensetive to not being halted properly ?

On a second note does dossrv do any unix to dos LF translation ? I ask
because I have been using my dos drives to transfer files between linux
and plan9 and this conversion seems to be happening quite often. I
tried to copy accross a tar archive of headers to fix the above problem
but the arcive seems to have been translated and therefor tar wont work
with it. It could be the linux fs server but Ive not noticed any problems
with it in the past.

Robin

* Re: [9fans] kfs and unknown command plus dossrv
@ 2000-06-26 20:26   ` James A. Robinson
From: James A. Robinson @ 2000-06-26 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Is kds realy this sensetive to not being halted properly ?

If you wish to simply turn off a terminal, with no prep, set up a
file server.  As with any OS that has active processes in the background,
if you want to turn if off you need to sync the fs. Having a seperate file
server means you don't need to worry when just shutting down the terminal.

Jim

* Re: [9fans] kfs and unknown command plus dossrv
@ 2000-07-01  9:21     ` R. J. Bradley
From: R. J. Bradley @ 2000-07-01  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 08:47:08PM +0000, James A. Robinson wrote:
> > Is kds realy this sensetive to not being halted properly ?
>
> If you wish to simply turn off a terminal, with no prep, set up a
> file server.  As with any OS that has active processes in the background,
> if you want to turn if off you need to sync the fs. Having a seperate file
> server means you don't need to worry when just shutting down the terminal.
>
> Jim

Its not realy a case of wanting to do it, its more a case of accident
and writing a new graphics driver (though Ive just about got the hang
of typing disk/kfscmd halt without seeing what I'm typeing). However
ext2 and (shudder) FAT disk recovery programs seem to manage to pick
up the filesystem in most cases without serious problem.

I was perplexed at finding unknown command strings scattered through files
that had not even been written to and therefor I would have expected not
to suffer from the loss of disk cache?

Just interested as to how much information kfs holds.

@ 2000-07-01 10:15       ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2000-07-01 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

just write an rc function called halt that runs disk/kfscmd halt
and get in the habit of using it.

--
Boyd Roberts                            boyd@psycho-basket-case.org

     ``I come over here to kill them cocksuckers, not work for 'em''

           -- Moon Dog, _Pettibone's Law_, John Keene