* [9fans] Loosely-coupled multi-processor CPU servers?
@ 2000-07-07 18:26 Randolph Fritz
From: Randolph Fritz @ 2000-07-07 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

This discussion brought me to a problem I've been looking at for a
while: I've been studying the problem of building a vest-pocket
rendering farm.  For my purposes, I'd like a board or array of small
boards with perhaps 16 very fast, cost-effective processors, each with
perhaps 128 or 256MB of RAM, and a fast interconnect--30MB/sec or more.
Is this--or module-level parts to build it--an off-the shelf item?

--
Randolph Fritz
Eugene, Oregon, USA

* Re: [9fans] Loosely-coupled multi-processor CPU servers?
@ 2000-07-07 18:56 ` Andrey Mirtchovski
From: Andrey Mirtchovski @ 2000-07-07 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'd like to add a few questions to these...

1. How easy would be to add new cpu servers to a plan9 network? Can they
be 'loosely coupled' in the sence that when need arises new machines will
be added to an existing environment and removed later? (i have heard of
something like that in pixar's rendering farm)
2. (Pardon if this already exists in documentation -- I couldn't find
it...) How easy it would be to migrate processes from one cpu machine to
another, if at all possible?