* [9fans] install floppy
@ 2000-07-23 16:51 David Bulkow
From: David Bulkow @ 2000-07-23 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

How is root.vd created?

I am unable to use the floppy for installation since the June 17th update.  The
problem appears to be the use of bootes as the login in nvram rather than
glenda, as /usr/glenda is the only directory in /usr.  The boot complains of
being unable to write in /tmp and cannot find /usr/bootes/lib/profile.  I
suppose the fix might be as simple as creating a new nvram file with glenda as
the login, but I would also like to make changes to the installation.

* Re: [9fans] install floppy
@ 2000-07-24  0:53 Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2000-07-24  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i, for one, would be very interested in this. i've
got some friends i'm trying to sell on Plan 9, and
it's be nice to have a disk to hand out. the install
disk itself is good for this purpose (having a
kernel, shell, window system, etc.), but it's be
nice to dump the install stuff and add acme or sam.
: anothy;

* Re: [9fans] install floppy
@ 2000-07-23 20:02 ` David Bulkow
From: David Bulkow @ 2000-07-23 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I did indeed install a CPU server.  I realized what the problem might be - after sending
the mail of course :-)

I removed the nvram partition and the install is working fine now.

Russ Cox wrote:

> Did you install a CPU server on the machine,
> or change plan9.nvr on the floppy?  I'm pretty
> sure the plan9.nvr on the floppy still has
> glenda in it, but maybe the boot kernel is
> picking up the nvram on the hard disk first.
>
> Russ

* Re: [9fans] install floppy
@ 2000-07-23 19:12 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-07-23 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	How is root.vd created?

Root.vd is a vdsqueezed mkfs -a style archive.
The ``kfs'' on the install disk is really vdfs, which
is quite literally a cross between vdexpand
and a lib9p-based ramfs.  The ramfs initializes
itself with the contents of the archive.

Second edition users might remember vdsqueeze
and vdexpand from its installation process as well.
I believe that (as then) we do not have the rights
to distribute the source.

Of course, AT&T has the rights to distribute the
source, and they do.  Vdexpand and vdsqueeze
are part of AT&T Research's mammoth AST package.
You'll never get the whole thing to configure under
Plan 9 (trust me), but you might be successful pulling
out just src/lib/libvdelta and getting it to compile.
Except for some extra #ifdefs, some formatting changes,
and some extra #define's to handle I/O, the code
in the AST package looks approximately like what
we have.

I have a gzfs that serves the same purpose using
/sys/src/cmd/gzip, but gzip -9 does a poorer job
than vdsqueeze does, to the extent that I can't fit
everything I want onto a disk using gzip.  Hence
I used vdsqueeze.

I can probably put all of that up somewhere, modulo
the vd source itself, if you're really interested.