* [9fans] Ideas on the Browser subject
@ 2000-07-25  8:41 .:|:.
From: .:|:. @ 2000-07-25  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

Recent talk round here about a browser has led me to some thinking

I'm a web developer using HTML4, CSS, javascript, dhtml, xml and the like.
To me a browser is so much more than an html renderer.
Stuff like real audio and other plug-ins are not as important to me.

However the world of application development is a bit hairy with all the
incompatibilities between IE and Netscrape and W3C

While driving along today though I had a flash of inspritration I wish I had
the freedom to implement but despite that I'm going to share my idea. I read
here concerning the fs appraoch to proxies, caching and history issues.

The Document Object Model opened up as an FS for each connection would be
brilliant

being able to navigate the DOM in a FS would breach a major hurdle in
working with the DOM that is knowing what is there - there's so much to keep
in your head it's crazy and no browser comes with any tools to navigate the
objects available (or if they do they certainly don't shout about it 'cos
I've not noticed

XML arranged like this would also be great.

Javascript is only important as it's a "cross platform" scripting language.
(Cross platform in that you send the code for each platform and
conditionally execute it ar runtime !!)

The Functionality of the API of the DOM is defined and not language
dependent (as illustrated by my IE which can use VBScript, Javascript or
Python as the client-side script.)

I really want this now so hurry up and get it finished.

They day you finish it I'll fly round the world to wherever you are and buy
the team the beers.

Matt

btw. My 9fans mailing list mail has dried up - any reason anyone know about?

* [9fans] Re: Ideas on the Browser subject
@ 2000-07-26  8:41 ` .:|:.
From: .:|:. @ 2000-07-26  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

sorry to expand on myself :)

mounting the document as a fs and including it's image and object binaries
wouls help tremendously for compenentising the process

a program such as uget get's the document

domfs mounts it

renderdom renders a document from a dom

javascriptdom can execute arbitrary javascript on it

etc. etc.

sorry if it's a bit obvious but my plan9 light has only recently been
switched on
and it's an OS that's really doing the right things for me

Matt