* [9fans] OED
@ 2000-08-11 18:17 D. Brownlee
From: D. Brownlee @ 2000-08-11 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

'dict', says: can't open dictionary /lib/dict/oed2

A man page says that the dictionary isn't distributed,
but is there an organization that sells it? On CD?
Is 'dict' enough to read the CD, if it exists?

Another question: has anyone done international-phonetic-alphabet
to speech synthesis?

P.S: Thanks for the "prof | pr -t -e8" advice. That fixes
the output of 'prof -d'.

Later,

D. Brownlee

* Re: [9fans] OED
@ 2003-09-15 22:29   ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2003-09-15 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i asked about it some time during the 1990s and discovered that the
data was taken from an unencrypted reel of magnetic tape.
i've got the email somewhere but it won't help if you've only got the CD.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2314 bytes --]

From: "rob pike, esq." <rob@mightycheese.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] OED
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:43:17 -0700

i may be wrong, but i believe the code in dict was used to process
an unencrypted, pre-production edition of the electronic OED that
some of the folks at bell labs had access to.  i don't think the CD was
the origin of the data.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] OED
@ 2003-09-15 19:46 ` William K. Josephson
From: William K. Josephson @ 2003-09-15 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 08:40:35PM +0100, Derek Fawcus wrote:
> So does anyone know if the dict code can cope with the OED 2ed v3 CD
> (i.e. whay's currently being sold)?

> I'm just wondering 'cause despite the comment about simplistic encryption,
> (which I've now deleted so can't recall who wrote it),  I can't see anything
> that looks like decryption code in oed.c (p9 3rd dist) and the info
> available from the oed website suggests it is encrypted (somehow).

That's because there isn't any -- the CD is encrypted but
dict assumes it is not.  You'll have to crack it...

* Re: [9fans] OED
@ 2003-09-15 19:43 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-09-15 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> So does anyone know if the dict code can cope with the OED 2ed v3 CD
> (i.e. whay's currently being sold)?

i'm certain it cannot.

* Re: [9fans] OED
@ 2003-09-15 19:43 ` rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2003-09-15 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i may be wrong, but i believe the code in dict was used to process
an unencrypted, pre-production edition of the electronic OED that
some of the folks at bell labs had access to.  i don't think the CD was
the origin of the data.

-rob

* [9fans] OED
@ 2003-09-15 19:40 Derek Fawcus
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Derek Fawcus @ 2003-09-15 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

So does anyone know if the dict code can cope with the OED 2ed v3 CD
(i.e. whay's currently being sold)?

I'm just wondering 'cause despite the comment about simplistic encryption,
(which I've now deleted so can't recall who wrote it),  I can't see anything
that looks like decryption code in oed.c (p9 3rd dist) and the info
available from the oed website suggests it is encrypted (somehow).

If dict can cope,  then I may well buy a copy.

DF