From: "Mark C. Otto" <Mark_Otto@FWS.Gov>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] Monitors and VGADB
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 11:34:24 -0400	[thread overview]

I have a Micron 700FGx 17" monitor, and I was trying to work through the
second part of the vgadb(6) to see if vga(8) will recognize my monitor.
I found an entry in the database for a Micron 17FGx.  I cannot figure
out how to go from the information in the monitor manual to VGADB entry,
particularly how to get shb, ehb, ht, vrs, vre, vt, hsync, and vsync.
Since the VGADB specifications are in terms of character clocks, this
seems to be from the generation of character terminals, which I cannot
find a description of.  I have been reading the PC Upgrade Bible to get
an idea of how the video cards and monitors work.  Ferraro, Richard E.,
Programming Guide to the EGA, VGA and Super VGA Cards is out of print.

Could someone could give me a time period in the 9fans archives or an
another book or article that would explain how to go from a monitor
description like the one below to a VGADB monitor entry.  Russ has
talked about updating the graphics part of Plan9, but until then some
conversion formulas would help, especially when I do not have the system
installed to experiment with it.

Thanks for any references or information someone can provide.
Mark Otto

Display			300x225mm of viewable area.
Dot pitch		0.26mm (gives only one and does not specify horizontal or
vertical)
Horizontal frequency	30.0-69.0kHz
Vertical frequency	50.0-160.0Hz
Video band width	86MHz
Maximum resolution	1280x1024@60Hz
Preset modes:

					Frequency		Signal Polarity
Mode		Resolution	Horzontal	Vertical	Horz	Vertical
VGA 480@60Hz	640x480		31.47kHz	59.94Hz		-	-
640x480@75Hz	640x480		37.50kHz	75.00Hz		-	-
800x600@75Hz	800x600		46.88kHz	75.00Hz		+	+
832x624@75Hz	832x624		49.73kHz	74.55Hz		-	-
1024x768@70Hz	1024x768	56.48kHz	70.07Hz		-	-
1024x768@75Hz	1024x768	60.24kHz	74.93Hz		-	-
1024x768@75Hz	1024x768	60.02kHz	75.03Hz		+	+
1280x1024@60Hz	1280x1024	63.98kHz	60.02Hz		+	+

There is no mention of interlacing in the monitor manual.