* Re: [9fans] 3rd edition Inferno questions
@ 2000-09-25  9:51 okamoto
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: okamoto @ 2000-09-25  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Sorry to continue Inferno discussion here, because I have no write
permission to news.

Acme requires 3 button mouse, but many windows users (me included)
using 2 button mouse.  What I can do?

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] 3rd edition Inferno questions
@ 2000-09-25 16:29 ` Tom Duff
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Tom Duff @ 2000-09-25 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

[-- Attachment #1: Text --]
[-- Type: text/plain , Size: 423 bytes --]

> Acme requires 3 button mouse, but many windows users (me included)
> using 2 button mouse.  What I can do?
You can get a nice 3 button mouse for about $10.00 (about 10806 Yen,
today.  Presumably things sell for different prices in Japan, though).
These work just fine with Windows -- it just ignores the middle button.

--
Tom Duff.  Una piccola canzone, un piccolo ballo, poco seltzer gi€ i
vostri pantaloni.

* Re: [9fans] 3rd edition Inferno questions
@ 2000-09-26  4:02 ` Rick Hohensee
From: Rick Hohensee @ 2000-09-26  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Sorry to continue Inferno discussion here, because I have no write
> permission to news.
>
> Acme requires 3 button mouse, but many windows users (me included)
> using 2 button mouse.  What I can do?
>
> Kenji

Get a 3-button mouse. For, like, $12--. GREAT investment.
The 3-button mouse is something X got right. And some other
folks.

Rick Hohensee

* Re: [9fans] 3rd edition Inferno questions
@ 2000-09-27  8:40 ` Micah Stetson
From: Micah Stetson @ 2000-09-27  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Acme requires 3 button mouse, but many windows users (me included)
> using 2 button mouse.  What I can do?

Although it might be a pain to use, Windows has a feature
called "Mouse Keys" that lets you control the mouse with the
numeric keypad.  If I remember correctly, you can do any
kind of chording you want and it supports three buttons.
You'll find it under the "Accessibility Options" in "Control
Panel".  However, I would still recommend getting a three
button mouse as you would have to hit about six keys to make
it do "button 1 down, button 2 click, button 1 up".  It's
really intended for people who cannot physically use a
mouse.

Micah

* Re: [9fans] 3rd edition Inferno questions
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-09-28 10:17 ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2000-09-28 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp wrote:
> Acme requires 3 button mouse, but many windows users (me included)
> using 2 button mouse.  What I can do?

Buy a 3-button mouse.  Logitech made some good ones.

* Re: [9fans] 3rd edition Inferno questions
@ 2000-09-26 15:15 ` Harri Haataja
From: Harri Haataja @ 2000-09-26 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

And IE which uses it as a subtitute for a wheelmouse.
Or actually it probably uses the third button because on wheelmice just
pressing the wheel acts as mmb which locs the mouse to "scroll mode" of
a sort in IE.

@ 2000-09-26  6:35 nigel
From: nigel @ 2000-09-26  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

To be fair to Windows, it doesn't ignore the middle button. It's
just that all the applications do. Except, of course, X servers,
and drawterm.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2682 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2.1.1: Text --]

@ 2000-09-25 15:29   ` Harri Haataja
From: Harri Haataja @ 2000-09-25 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Elliott Hughes wrote:

> <rog@vitanuova.com> wrote in message news:20000925101648.6D4AD19A18@mail...
> > the simple solution is: get a 3 button mouse.
>
> indeed. but who knows how long these will still be available?

I don't see why they would go away. Quite especially the linux hype
seems to be bringing in just more demand and hence more supply of them.
Only thing that's coming in is the wheelmouse.

* Re: [9fans] 3rd edition Inferno questions
@ 2000-09-25 11:21 ` Elliott Hughes
From: Elliott Hughes @ 2000-09-25 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

<rog@vitanuova.com> wrote in message news:20000925101648.6D4AD19A18@mail...
> the simple solution is: get a 3 button mouse.

indeed. but who knows how long these will still be available?

> any better ideas?

heretical as it may be, how about adding ^X, ^C and ^V? i've written an
editor along the lines of acme in Java, and i offer these as alternatives to
chording. i find it particularly useful when transferring text between my
editor and other Windows programs, copying a URI from Internet Explorer into
a file, for example. somehow it's easier for my brain to finish its
^C-then-^V program than it is to switch half-way through to the third third
of its b1b2-then-b1b3-then-b1b3 program.

it's also handy when i have to use someone else's machine, and can't just
get a 3-button mouse. and it would mean acme wouldn't need the 'Cut',
'Paste' and 'Snarf' entries in various tags. and it means that people used
to other editors don't need to learn as much straight away.

 - e

* Re: [9fans] 3rd edition Inferno questions
@ 2000-09-25 10:47 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-09-25 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>might be necessary if we port inferno to macos X, where 1-button mice
>>are standard...

i might have known.

* Re: [9fans] 3rd edition Inferno questions
@ 2000-09-25 10:17 rog
From: rog @ 2000-09-25 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Acme requires 3 button mouse, but many windows users (me included)
> using 2 button mouse.  What I can do?

the simple solution is: get a 3 button mouse. (on mice with
scroll-wheels, the wheel acts as the middle button).

you can use shift+left button to get a middle button action, but that's
not sufficient for acme, or other apps that use acme's chording.

i guess it should be possible to make three otherwise unused keys on
the keyboard act like mouse buttons (f1, f2 and f3, for example). this
might be necessary if we port inferno to macos X, where 1-button mice
are standard...

any better ideas?

  rog.

* Re: [9fans] 3rd edition Inferno questions
@ 2000-09-25  9:24 ` forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-09-25  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

9fans is probably not the right place for many Inferno questions
beyond the `Inferno vs Plan9' variety.  I'll answer in 9fans anyway,
since it's not too busy at the moment,
but i'm cross-posting to comp.os.inferno and comp.lang.limbo.

pick has been in Limbo for several years, and was separately
documented at one point, but we added a description of pick
to the Limbo Reference Manual, and also documented the
type descriptor changes made ages ago (including extensions for pick)
in sbl(6) and the Dis VM document.

the sam*.b files you see implement an Inferno samterm that predates Acme under
Inferno, and  relies on running the other half of sam under the host o/s using cmd(3)
(see samstub.b).  as with a few other things, there was some discussion about including
it, but in the end we compromised: we left it in as an example,
and in case someone was interested enough to work on it,
but left it undocumented because we intend to concentrate effort
on Acme, rather than implementing a complete variant of sam under Inferno,
because of Acme's good integrating properties.

* [9fans] 3rd edition Inferno questions
@ 2000-09-24 19:09 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2000-09-24 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks Vita Nuova for putting up the un-retargetable (a.k.a binary) 3rd
edition. I am just curious:

- Was 'pick' added to Limbo recently?
- Sam is missing, although, there are limbo source files around hinting
  that something is in the works. no? (This is not a complaint. Acme is more
  than adequate for my needs.)