* Re: [9fans] 9 network issues
@ 2001-02-21  7:47 nigel
From: nigel @ 2001-02-21  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Run snoopy(8) on the 9box, and tcpdump on the
linuxcontainer, and check whether your hypothesis about
the flashing lights is accurate.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1981 bytes --]

From: Sam Hopkins <sah@borf.com>
To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [9fans] 9 network issues
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 19:11:53 -0500 (EST)

Heya,

I've brought up a standalone system for the purpose of doing a
demonstration this coming weekend at a local linux fest.  I'm
having some odd network issues I thought someone could have
some ideas on.  Here goes ...

In trying to ping the gateway ( a linux box ), I get nothing.
The little light on my hub gives me the flashies, so I know
activity is going out, but no flashies on the lines the gateway is connected
to.

In trying to ping the 9box from the gateway, still nothing.  Though now,
I get flashies from both lines.  The linux box gets icmp "Host
Unreachable." ... err, s/gets icmp/prints/.

Ok, so I know the general solution to be shouted from the rooftops
will be "simple, throw the linux box away."  In this case, I simply can't.
To win over these linuxers, interoperability is going to be important.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Sam

* [9fans] MBR Problems with Install
@ 2001-02-22 13:18 ` Mark C. Otto
From: Mark C. Otto @ 2001-02-22 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

During my install of plan9 on a Micron doing a bootsetup making plan9 the active
partition, I corrupted the MBR.  The computer was backed up and I fixed the MBR
but such a basic problem was disconcerting.  Not that I want to, but I could
probably duplicate the problem if it would help.

I am trying to dual boot 29 July 2000 (Vita Nuova CD) plan9 distribution
on a Micron with 2GB win98 and 1GB plan9 partitions.  The install went
fine after adding a line to the VGADB.  I did bootsetup twice: once for
a plan9 active partition and again for a boot floppy.  When I rebooted
from the sdC0, I got the following:

MBR..I/O error
Press almost any key to reboot...

Booting from the floppy works fine.  I used disk/fdisk to make the windows
partition the active partition with the same result.  The plan9 and dos fdisks
don't find a problem with the partition tables.  The dos scandisk can check the
win98 partition.  From reading prep(8), used

disk/mbr -m /386/mbr /dev/sdC0/data

but this did not help.  I was a little bolder because the machine was backed up.
I found in 9fans that Ture P}lsson (16 Aug 1995 13:20:54 -0400) used the dos
fdisk /mbr to restore the mbr.  This and restoring some of the files fixed the
MBR.  Was the large 2GB win98 partition too big?  I thought that problem was
fixed with this distribution.

* Re: [9fans] MBR Problems with Install
@ 2001-02-22 16:06   ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2001-02-22 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"Mark C. Otto" wrote:
> MBR..I/O error
> Press almost any key to reboot...

I ran into that with every method of installing Plan 9 boot
other than straight partition boot.  I use System Commander
to select among OSes at boot time.

* Re: [9fans] MBR Problems with Install
@ 2001-02-22 17:32     ` Mark C. Otto
From: Mark C. Otto @ 2001-02-22 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks.  I guess this is more common than I thought.  I couldn't find it in the
9fans archives.  Hopefully, I won't have to dual boot this on.  I'd like to make
it just a Plan9 box.

Mark