* [9fans] ATI xpert98 doen't work
@ 2001-05-22  7:46 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-05-22  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I got ATI xpert 98 card (RXL 8M) with 8MB memory recently, but it doen't
work. I'm using latest Plan 9 sources.

The card contains three large LSIs,
(1) Rage XL 215R3LASB41 (Controller)
(2) RAGEXL 72304-100  (RAMDAC?)
(3) Winbond W986432AH-7  (probably RAM)

This is an ATI product (made in China though:-), but not OEM product.
It is recognized by vgadb, and goes to start graphic mode of the card
at any screen resolution like 640x480x8, 1376x1024x8 etc.  However,
system stoppes at that point.  I don't know whether is is freezing or not,
rather I just know no responce to mouse and keyboard, and no readable
message on the screen (it showes older video RAM image on the ascreen,
as usual).

Any suggestions?

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] ATI xpert98 doen't work
@ 2001-05-22 13:53 ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2001-05-22 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp wrote:
> (1) Rage XL 215R3LASB41 (Controller)

There are (at least) two distinct designs of the Xpert-98
card, one using Rage Pro and one using Rage XL.  I think
the Rage XL version is a "value edition" which requires
additional support from the driver, similar to a WinModem.
(I deplore this trend, but one can understand how it arises.)
I don't think the Plan 9 ATI driver supports Rage XL.