* [9fans] Small Plan9?
@ 2001-05-23  8:24 Hermann Samso
From: Hermann Samso @ 2001-05-23  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	My only possibility to input data a my PC is either
	through keyboard/mouse :-) or over the floppy drive.
	Sadly enough I do not have money enough at this moment
	to buy the CD distribution or to buy ZIP an download
	it at University.

	Anyways, I just bought a 2nd hand PC, and have been
	dreaming of giving Plan9 a try. So the question is,
	are there any small distributions (a la uLinux) that
	fit in 2 to 10 diskettes? is such a distribution
	feasible? Anyone? :)

	BTW. is FAT supported?

	saludos,
		hermann samso

* [9fans] Re: Small Plan9?
@ 2001-05-23 14:57 ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2001-05-23 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hermann Samso wrote:
>         My only possibility to input data a my PC is either
>         through keyboard/mouse :-) or over the floppy drive.
>         Sadly enough I do not have money enough at this moment
>         to buy the CD distribution or to buy ZIP an download
>         it at University.

The usual way to install Plan 9 for the first time is to
download the installation floppy image, and the compressed
archive used by the installation process, to a hard disk
(e.g. under Windows) from the Plan 9 distribution Web site.
If you can't set aside about 700MB of disk for a Plan 9
partition, you probably won't enjoy the Plan 9 experience
anyway.  You can play with just the installation floppy,
which does run Rio, but there aren't enough tools to make
it worthwhile.

>         Anyways, I just bought a 2nd hand PC, and have been
>         dreaming of giving Plan9 a try. So the question is,
>         are there any small distributions (a la uLinux) that
>         fit in 2 to 10 diskettes? is such a distribution
>         feasible? Anyone? :)

Earlier versions of Plan 9 were available as minimal floppy
systems for evaluation purposes, but the system has grown
and I doubt that would be feasible now.

>         BTW. is FAT supported?

Yes, at least FAT16 in certain partitions is.  I haven't
checked to see if recent updates have improved this.

* Re: [9fans] Small Plan9?
@ 2001-05-24  0:51 ` Noorah Abeer Chereb Magean
From: Noorah Abeer Chereb Magean @ 2001-05-24  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can you not download in?
> My only possibility to input data a my PC is either
> through keyboard/mouse :-) or over the floppy drive.
> Sadly enough I do not have money enough at this moment
> to buy the CD distribution or to buy ZIP an download
> it at University.
>
> Anyways, I just bought a 2nd hand PC, and have been
> dreaming of giving Plan9 a try. So the question is,
> are there any small distributions (a la uLinux) that
> fit in 2 to 10 diskettes? is such a distribution
> feasible? Anyone? :)
>
> BTW. is FAT supported?
>
> saludos,
> hermann samso

* Re: [9fans] Small Plan9?
@ 2001-05-25  8:21   ` Hermann Samso
From: Hermann Samso @ 2001-05-25  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Noorah Abeer Chereb Magean <noorahacm@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Can you not download in?

	I am trying to install in my Home PC, and I get access
	at university. So a 2 to 10 Diskettes version, would
	be grrrrreat for testing, maintenance and recovery,
	wouldn't it?

	saludos,
		hermann samso

* Re[2]: [9fans] Small Plan9?
@ 2001-05-25  9:01     ` Matt H
From: Matt H @ 2001-05-25  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hermann Samso

Hello Hermann,

> So a 2 to 10 Diskettes version, would
> be grrrrreat for testing, maintenance and recovery,
> wouldn't it?

surely hannover university can stretch to a cd burner?

--
 Matt                          mailto:matt@proweb.co.uk

I'm floating on a lilo in the Sea of Alright