* Re: [9fans] alarm handling and suspended machines
@ 2001-06-13  3:27 presotto
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: presotto @ 2001-06-13  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

we were about to do that on the pc's for a different reason.  The
mechanism should extend to the other architectures.  I've got to
figure out how to restart time when the fast clock stops running.
I can do a quick guess from the rtc and then use ntp to do the
rest but the timesync process will have to know when the
cycle clock becomes meaningless.

* Re: [9fans] alarm handling and suspended machines
@ 2001-06-13 12:02 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2001-06-13 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 11:27:34PM -0400, presotto@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

> we were about to do that on the pc's for a different reason.  The
> mechanism should extend to the other architectures.  I've got to
> figure out how to restart time when the fast clock stops running.
> I can do a quick guess from the rtc and then use ntp to do the
> rest but the timesync process will have to know when the
> cycle clock becomes meaningless.

The first step should presumably be to update the RTC on shutting
down, or is it kept up to date by timesync?

I get often irritated by alarm clocks that sync to the mains until
failure, then switch to the stand-by battery powered clock and in
all devices I have had to deal with, inevitably race way ahead.
By the time you get to correct it you have to trip right around 24
hours (or somewhat less).

Point is, if the clock manufacturers all have a good reason to
adopt such an annoying approach, one would similarly hope the RTC
is very exact (I have some interesting spread of accuracy in my
office) or fast.

I know I often overlook the obvious: in this case I don't quite
get the issue with the timesync?  If it's got to do with noticing
that the fast clock has been shut down, you may want timesync to
do the shutting down itself, in some safe fashion.  I assume that
is not impossible.

++L

PS: I'm sure I missed something obvious, yet again, but I may never
find out what it is if I don't ask, this mailing list is often
extremely cerebral :-(

* Re: [9fans] alarm handling and suspended machines
@ 2001-06-13 19:28 ` Mike Haertel
From: Mike Haertel @ 2001-06-13 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>we were about to do that on the pc's for a different reason.  The
>mechanism should extend to the other architectures.  I've got to
>figure out how to restart time when the fast clock stops running.
>I can do a quick guess from the rtc and then use ntp to do the
>rest but the timesync process will have to know when the
>cycle clock becomes meaningless.

If by "cycle clock" you mean processor's time stamp counter,
using it for time keeping is a Bad Idea.  Nowdays there are
machines with variable speed processor clocks that get adjusted
for power saving reasons.  For example, I have a laptop
that automatically cuts the clock frequency when the battery
drops below 50%, apparently no matter what I do to the
power management settings in the BIOS.

* [9fans] [Q] intel i810 support
@ 2001-06-14 14:34 ` Jayprasad Hegde
From: Jayprasad Hegde @ 2001-06-14 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

I am not able to install Plan 9 on my system.
I contacted plan 9 support and they say this has to do with the intel 810
chipset that i am using.

Do you have a solution for this ?

regards and thanks.
-JJH

 > Jayprasad J Hegde <
 Homepage - http://www.ncst.ernet.in/~jjhegde
 email - jjhegde@ncst.ernet.in

* Re: [9fans] [Q] intel i810 support
@ 2001-06-14 15:49   ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2001-06-14 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Jayprasad Hegde wrote:
> I am not able to install Plan 9 on my system.
> I contacted plan 9 support and they say this has to do with the intel 810
> chipset that i am using.

I don't understand that.  I have the 815 chipset, which is quite
similar,
and although there were some installation problems, they were not due to
the chipset.  Perhaps you could be more specific about the symptoms?

* Re: [9fans] [Q] intel i810 support
@ 2001-06-14 20:10     ` Martin Harriss
From: Martin Harriss @ 2001-06-14 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"Douglas A. Gwyn" wrote:

> Jayprasad Hegde wrote:
> > I am not able to install Plan 9 on my system.
> > I contacted plan 9 support and they say this has to do with the intel 810
> > chipset that i am using.
>
> I don't understand that.  I have the 815 chipset, which is quite
> similar,
> and although there were some installation problems, they were not due to
> the chipset.  Perhaps you could be more specific about the symptoms?

The 815 comes both with and without an intetgrated graphics controller.
I believe that the 810 comes only *with*.  The problem is presumably
unsupported graphics chipset?

Martin

* Re: [9fans] [Q] intel i810 support
@ 2001-06-15 14:19       ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2001-06-15 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Martin Harriss wrote:
> The 815 comes both with and without an intetgrated graphics controller.
> I believe that the 810 comes only *with*.  The problem is presumably
> unsupported graphics chipset?

Aha, well the solution is to disable the on-chip graphics and
use a supported graphics card.