* [9fans] Windows Sam with support for -r
@ 2001-07-20 19:46 Sean Quinlan
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Sean Quinlan @ 2001-07-20 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I just added a new distribution of sam to plan 9 update page.

 From the readme:

This directory contains a Windows port of a number of plan 9 utilities,
including an updated version of the sam text editor. This version of
sam supports the -r option using ssh as the remote execution protocol.

Source is included.  It should be possible to rebuild the
tools from the source, but it will probably require some work.
In particular, the source is mostly built using version 4.2 of
Visual C++. The source was ported using a plan 9 emulation
library called 9pm, which completely replaces the standard
libc library included with the compilers.

The remote execution command srx and the libraries mp and libsec
are compiled with Version 6.0.  This source does not use the 9pm library.

Most of these tools are rather out of date.  Only a small number of changes
have been made since 1997.  Maintenance and updating of these tools is
left as an exercise to the reader.

Note: this code is released under the Plan 9 open source license agreement.

Enjoy
Sean Quinlan

* RE: [9fans] Windows Sam with support for -r
@ 2001-07-20 22:12 ` Vincent van Gelderen
From: Vincent van Gelderen @ 2001-07-20 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>I just added a new distribution of sam to plan 9 update page.
>This directory contains a Windows port of a number of plan 9 utilities,
>including an updated version of the sam text editor.
>Enjoy
>Sean Quinlan

Thank you,

you instantly cheered up
my whole weekend!

Vincent van Gelderen

ObFact: It is approx. 2M to download

* Re: [9fans] Windows Sam with support for -r
@ 2001-07-20 22:38   ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-07-20 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> you instantly cheered up
> my whole weekend!

wait till you start hacking windows code.

* Re: [9fans] Windows Sam with support for -r
@ 2001-07-21 16:37 ` Sean Quinlan
From: Sean Quinlan @ 2001-07-21 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Sean Quinlan wrote:

> I just added a new distribution of sam to plan 9 update page.

Looks like a screwed up on the first attempt.  So far there are two
problems.

1) The 9pm.tgz file is corrupted.  Not sure what the problem at
   the moment, but I have replaced it will 9pm.zip.

2) Sam does not appear to work on windows 98 and I assume all
   non-NT version of Windows.  In the process of hacking to source to
   get it in a form I could release, I guess I broke it.
   I'll fix this on monday.

* RE: [9fans] Windows Sam with support for -r
@ 2001-07-22 20:52   ` Vincent van Gelderen
From: Vincent van Gelderen @ 2001-07-22 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Sean Quinlan wrote:

> Sean Quinlan wrote:
> >
> > I just added a new distribution of sam to plan 9 update page.
> >

> Looks like a screwed up on the first attempt.  So far there are two
> problems.
>
> 1) The 9pm.tgz file is corrupted.  Not sure what the problem at
>    the moment, but I have replaced it will 9pm.zip.

gunzip complained about: invalid compressed data--length error
but tar thought everything was fine.

> 2) Sam does not appear to work on windows 98 and I assume all
>    non-NT version of Windows.  In the process of hacking to source to
>    get it in a form I could release, I guess I broke it.
>    I'll fix this on monday.

It works on Win2000, I'll test later on Win9se and possibly on Win95,
if you like.

Cheers,
Vincent

From: Vincent van Gelderen @ 2001-07-22 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Boyd Roberts wrote:

> > you instantly cheered up
> > my whole weekend!
>
> wait till you start hacking windows code.

Perish the thought, $DEITY knows I've tried
this in the past, but I found it bad for
my mental health. Please give me a system
that is sane.

Sam and its ilk for Win can come in handy
though, espiacially at work.

Cheers,
Vincent

* RE: [9fans] Windows Sam with support for -r
@ 2001-07-22 20:58       ` Vincent van Gelderen
From: Vincent van Gelderen @ 2001-07-22 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> though, espiacially at work.

s/espiacially/especially/
... time to get some sleep.

* Re: [9fans] Windows Sam with support for -r
@ 2001-07-23  3:24     ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2001-07-23  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 10:52:39PM +0200, Vincent van Gelderen wrote:

> > 1) The 9pm.tgz file is corrupted.  Not sure what the problem at
> >    the moment, but I have replaced it will 9pm.zip.
>
> gunzip complained about: invalid compressed data--length error
> but tar thought everything was fine.

I believe there was an error in an old version of the "z" library that
has been fixed - I forget the details, but I think it applied when
creating a compressed file.  I'm surprised the problem would arise
_here_ :-)

++L

* Re: [9fans] Windows Sam with support for -r
@ 2001-07-23 16:59 ` Sean Quinlan
From: Sean Quinlan @ 2001-07-23 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I updated the 9pm distribution again.  The included version
of sam should work on windows 95, 98, ME.