* Re: [9fans] dull question #1
@ 2001-08-15  1:50 dmr
From: dmr @ 2001-08-15  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 > You can't do anything to make Hell tolerable.
 > 1200-baud modems can be made tolerable by using a Blit.

As a user for several years of Jerq and Blit technology
at 1200 bps, I'd testify likewise that they were quite usable
in use.  One real problem was the long startup time:
about 9 minutes to download the system, which had to be
done perhaps daily because neither of the terminals had
more than a small ROM (no flash, no floppy).  The earliest
ones were also dreadfully susceptible to static electricity,
so in the winter one developed the habit of placing a
hand on the metal case before shifting in the chair or
shuffling the feet.  9.6kbps was indeed better.

	Dennis

* Re: [9fans] dull question #1
@ 2001-08-14 15:30 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2001-08-14 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> >Hell has nothing to do with it.  1200 baud modems do.
> Please explain, by modern standards, the difference between the two.

I didn't think I needed to point out the lack of distinction.  Rhetoric, doncha know.

-rob

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1842 bytes --]

From: Dan Cross <cross@math.psu.edu>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] dull question #1
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 10:52:03 -0400 (EDT)

In article <20010814124750.E6F4619A4F@mail.cse.psu.edu> you write:
>Hell has nothing to do with it.  1200 baud modems do.

Please explain, by modern standards, the difference between the two.

	- Dan C.

(``And for your crimes against humanity, I sentence you to eternity
   running X11 over a 1200 baud modem....''  :-)

* Re: [9fans] dull question #1
@ 2001-08-14 13:13 nigel
From: nigel @ 2001-08-14 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Button 2, selection <rio> swaps the sam snarf buffer with the rio snarf buffer.
There is a small sleep() encoded to simulate the time taken at 1200 baud
for backward compatibilty.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1564 bytes --]

From: pac <cej@cejchan.gli.cas.cz>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 15:12:53 +0200

Thanks to Rob for the answer! However, couldn't sam have both snarf buffers? If this last question is too stupid, just type "too stupid" as an answer.
I promise to learn to think 9'ish, with_a_little_help_of_my_friends (== you all).

Cheers, Peter.

--
Peter A Cejchan
biologist

* [9fans] dull question #1
@ 2001-08-14 12:50 pac
From: pac @ 2001-08-14 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,
could anyone explain me, why (the hell) is the snarf buffer in sam different from the system-wide snarf buffer (or is it just rio's?)

Regards, Peter.

--

@ 2001-08-14 12:46 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2001-08-14 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> could anyone explain me, why (the hell) is the snarf buffer in sam
> different from the system-wide snarf buffer (or is it just rio's?)

Hell has nothing to do with it.  1200 baud modems do.  Sam was originally
written for the Blit, which had a 1200-baud connection.  It was decided that
updating the global snarf buffer for every cut or paste would make cutting
and pasting too slow, so sam has its own snarf buffer.

People got used to it, and there are advantages (and disadvantages) to
keeping them separate.  For example, one can have a ready-to-send
compilation command in the window system's snarf buffer and not have
to re-snarf it every time you edit: just sam away, then go to the shell and
hit 'send' with button 2.

But the real answer is 1200-baud history.

-rob

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1499 bytes --]