* [9fans] why plan 9 is cool
@ 2001-10-05 14:00 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-10-05 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/pppoe.c

i just got dsl.

under windows, there's an hour-long installation
process during which you get about four layered
network drivers installed into your system.
and every time i log on i have to hear james
earl jones welcome me to verizon.

under plan 9, you do ip/pppoe -s user:pass
and you're done.

it took me just as long to install the windows
software as it did to write the plan 9 software.

russ

* Re: [9fans] why plan 9 is cool
@ 2001-10-08  9:35 ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2001-10-08  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Russ Cox wrote:
> i just got dsl.
> under windows, there's an hour-long installation
> process during which you get about four layered
> network drivers installed into your system.
> and every time i log on i have to hear james
> earl jones welcome me to verizon.

That's not inherent in DSL with Windows, that's the
DSL modem initialization, customized IE, etc. provided
by your DSL supplier.  All one has to do to get DSL
working with Windows once the modem has undergone the
one-time configuration (which in principle could be
done before it was even shipped to you) is the same
as with a normal Ethernet LAN connection, namely
nothing.  DHCP configures the (Ethernet) connection.
At least that's how mine works.  Ditto for my cable
modem connection via Ethernet.  Plug and play.

* Re: [9fans] why plan 9 is cool
@ 2001-10-05 20:08 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-10-05 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the way cross compilation works is a real plus.

* Re: [9fans] why plan 9 is cool
@ 2001-10-05 14:58 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2001-10-05 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You could try
	man pptpd
and see what pops up.

-rob

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1678 bytes --]

From: mlh@zip.com.au
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] why plan 9 is cool
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 14:50:14 GMT

(Russ writes a ppoe client)

Nice!

Ffor your next trick, please write a pptp client :-)

Or is this done?

* Re: [9fans] why plan 9 is cool
@ 2001-10-05 14:50 mlh