* Re: [9fans] Etherlink III problems?
@ 2001-10-06 21:26 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-10-06 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Using the boot floppy exactly as downloaded hangs after "Using
> fd0!dos!plan9.ini".
> If I delete the line "ether0=type=elnk3", the boot proceeds normally.
> Since rio is running at least I'm not in VGA purgatory.
> BIOS reports the 3C509B at irq 5. Windows reports port 0x210.

Does it still hang if you change the line to be

	ether0=type=elnk3 port=0x210 irq=5

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Etherlink III problems?
@ 2001-10-07  4:32 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2001-10-07  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 05:26:20PM -0400, Russ Cox wrote:

> > Using the boot floppy exactly as downloaded hangs after "Using
> > fd0!dos!plan9.ini".
> > If I delete the line "ether0=type=elnk3", the boot proceeds normally.
> > Since rio is running at least I'm not in VGA purgatory.
> > BIOS reports the 3C509B at irq 5. Windows reports port 0x210.
>
> Does it still hang if you change the line to be
>
> 	ether0=type=elnk3 port=0x210 irq=5

PnP hell?  It sure made a big difference when I switched PnP off
on a 3C509B as recommended by someone on this forum.

I also had to release IRQ 10 for legacy use in the BIOS PnP setings,
but that may have been for NetBSD, not Plan 9.  I imagine it won't
hurt, though.

++L

* Re: [9fans] Etherlink III problems?
@ 2001-10-08  9:50   ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2001-10-08  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Lucio De Re wrote:
> PnP hell?  It sure made a big difference when I switched PnP off
> on a 3C509B as recommended by someone on this forum.

The 3C509B as it is shipped reacts poorly when probed by PnP.
There is a DOS utility to reprogram it, after which it is safe.

* Re: [9fans] Etherlink III problems?
@ 2001-09-24 20:00 ` Pat Hacker
From: Pat Hacker @ 2001-09-24 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I switched to a Netgear FA310 ($10), used the DEC 2114x Fast Ethernet
Adapter and the download was successful.

Pat

* [9fans] Etherlink III problems?
@ 2001-09-23 20:46 Pat Hacker
From: Pat Hacker @ 2001-09-23 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I downloaded the boot floppy this weekend and got stalled with the
following problem:

Using the boot floppy exactly as downloaded hangs after "Using
fd0!dos!plan9.ini".
If I delete the line "ether0=type=elnk3", the boot proceeds normally.
Since rio is running at least I'm not in VGA purgatory.

BIOS reports the 3C509B at irq 5. Windows reports port 0x210.

Hardware configuration: S3 Trio 64V+, 3C509B, 1 FD, 1 IDE HD.

A post in Febuary with a 3C905 suggested using /bin/pci which I did but
I couldn't find a man page and can't interpret the results. I also don't
know if /bin/pci probes ISA cards or if another program is required for
ISA.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Pat