* Re: [9fans] Question about VAIO laptop and mouse support [was ideal
@ 2002-01-29 11:11 nigel
From: nigel @ 2002-01-29 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Boyd may be right about Plan 9's support for USB being minimal, and might
even be right that USB is itself 'orrible, but he should really have said that usb
mouse support is one of the things that Plan 9 can manage. I use it on my
laptop all the time.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2418 bytes --]

From: Boyd Roberts <boyd@strakt.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Question about VAIO laptop and mouse support [was ideal Plan9 Laptop]
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 11:58:13 +0100

Gene Garbutt wrote:
> When asked, "What is the ideal Plan9 laptop?", I have seen responses
> praising the Sony VAIO. My question is what do you use for an external
> mouse?

I use either the trackpad [desperation] or a cordfull logitec serial/ps2
mouse [the old clunky 3 button (pilot?) mouse].

Plan 9's USB support is pretty minimal (iirc) and USB is 'orrible.

I know have the beginnings of a CPU/auth server on a PCG-Z600LEK,
which used to run (and still does) Windows 2000, but I had to re-write
the MBR and all that to get it to go as well as all sorts of trickery
because a: instead of $adisk was by [the installation] /rc/bin/cpurc.

It took me a while, but the hack was:

    c:
    cp /rc/bin/cpurc /tmp/cpurc
    ed /tmp/cpurc
    1,$s/a:/c:/g
    rc -x /tmp/cpurc

[It was late and all this is from memory]

* Re: [9fans] Question about VAIO laptop and mouse support [was ideal
@ 2002-01-29 12:01 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2002-01-29 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

nigel@9fs.org wrote:

> Boyd may be right about Plan 9's support for USB being minimal, and might
> even be right that USB is itself 'orrible, but he should really have said that usb
> mouse support is one of the things that Plan 9 can manage. I use it on my
> laptop all the time.

Well, Boyd didn't know that and stands corrected.