* [9fans] Venti: bad format in version string?
@ 2002-07-02 15:18 Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2002-07-02 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Sean Quinlan wrote:
> somehow, you managed to connect to the port serving the
> the venti protocol rather than the http port.
>
> seanq
>>
>> I've set up my first Venti server on a standalone workstation, and
>> while it's still running through its first test, I've tried to access
>> its Web server and I get a lone line in response:
>>
>>   venti-02-libventi

Yes, I realized after posting that I'm a complete idiot.

Here's the play-by-play: I set up venti, fired it up, shovelled some
data, went to check it's internal Web server and noted the lack of
response from port 80, so I portmapped it, found the open venti port,
and connected to it.  Thus my shameful explication of my inability to
read documentation ("Help!  I've fallen and I can't RTFM!").

For the record, though the man page says it will listen to tcp!*!http by
default, I found that I had to use the -h option for the internal Web
server to start.  The likelihood that my workstation isn't
well-configured is high, though.

In a networked Plan 9 environment, are people running venti on a
terminal?  On a CPU server?  I know fs is going through some revision,
but it's clear that some people are using venti regularly, and I'd love
to know how it's being used inside and outside the Labs.

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] Venti: bad format in version string?
@ 2002-07-02 11:11 ` Sean Quinlan
From: Sean Quinlan @ 2002-07-02 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-07-02  8:53 Jack Johnson