* Re: [9fans] how to unsubscribe
@ 2002-07-09  2:12 ` Sam
From: Sam @ 2002-07-09  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Was it the crappy web browser?

Sam

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Nitesh Garg wrote:

> I want to unsubscribe from this group
>

> pls tell me how ???????????????

@ 2002-07-09  2:50 Nitesh Garg
From: Nitesh Garg @ 2002-07-09  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I want to unsubscribe from this group

pls tell me how ???????????????

@ 2002-07-09  3:17   ` Scott Schwartz
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Scott Schwartz @ 2002-07-09  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

| Nitesh Garg wrote:
| > I want to unsubscribe from this group
| > pls tell me how ???????????????

Sam:
| Was it the crappy web browser?

Yes, you need to use a crappy web browser, pointed at
https://lists.cse.psu.edu/ .  Follow the link to 9fans, go to the bottom
of the page, to where it says "Edit Options".

* Re: [9fans] how to unsubscribe
@ 2002-07-09  4:05     ` Dave
From: Dave @ 2002-07-09  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You can't just send a message with subject "unsubscribe" to
9fans-request@cse.psu.edu?

 - Dave

@ 2002-07-09  4:33   ` Michael H.Collins
From: Michael H.Collins @ 2002-07-09  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

lol

sorry for the breach of ettiquitte.

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002 22:12:08 -0400 (EDT)
Sam <sah@softcardsystems.com> spewed into the bitstream:

~Was it the crappy web browser?
~
~Sam
~
~On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Nitesh Garg wrote:
~
~>
~> I want to unsubscribe from this group
~>
~>
~>
~> pls tell me how ???????????????
~>
~>
~>
~> ---------------------------------
~> Do You Yahoo!?
~> New! SBC Yahoo! Dial - 1st Month Free & unlimited access
~
~

--

 (o_
 //\

* Re: [9fans] how to unsubscribe
@ 2002-07-09 15:34     ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2002-07-09 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Scott Schwartz wrote:
> | Nitesh Garg wrote:
> | > I want to unsubscribe from this group
> | > pls tell me how ???????????????
>
> Sam:
> | Was it the crappy web browser?

Speaking of crappy web browser, as a relative newcomer to Plan 9 I love
the plumbing trick with acme.  I tweaked both Rob and Micah's tips.
Micah's didn't work for me out of the gate, because it was feeding
'image http://blah.blah.blah' as the URL to wurl2img, so instead I took
Rob's match and mangled it to:

'(https?|ftp|file|gopher|mailto|news|nntp|telnet|wais|prospero)://[a-zA-Z0-9_@\-]+([.:][a-zA-Z0-9_@\-]+)*/?[a-zA-Z0-9_?,%#~&/\-+=]+([:.][a-zA-Z0-9_?,%#~&/\-+=]+)*[.](gif|jpg|png)+'

(which is probably wrong, but works) so that URLs for images will pop
open a separate window, and other URLs fall back to htmlfmt.

Most of this is also covered in plumb(6) for the edification of my
fellow newbies.  Hindsight is 20/20.

Also on the newbie front, the Plan 9 wiki is insanely useful but I've
noticed that the step-by-step guides are not always sequential.  Are
there any guidelines for submitting changes or are we encouraged to just
go for it?

-Jack

* [9fans] Wahoo! (Warning: Blatant Newbie Bliss)
@ 2002-07-09 16:02     ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2002-07-09 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I just want to say: FUN!

In my little test bed I've got a 1GHz CPU/auth/fs server, a 100MHz
terminal booting off the fs, and about 40GB of venti storage currently
backing up my samba/netatalk shares via u9fs.  I'm so thoroughly
impressed by its usability and performance I can hardly contain myself.

It's pretty slick having a terminal that's an order of magnitude slower
than the CPU server and not worrying about it (or even noticing) in the
least.  Good video and Ethernet cards go a long way.  Plus, less than a
week of rc scripting has noticeably changed the way I now deal with
bash.  The experience has been invaluable.

As a side note, I used to be an Oberon addict, and I became interested
in Plan 9 years ago through Rob's work with acme.  With the
VMS/NeXT/Linux asides in the interim, in so many ways finally putting
Plan 9 to work feels a lot more like coming home than a diversion.

Thank you.

-Jack