* [9fans] no luck for plan9 on compaq deskpro 2000?
@ 2002-07-16 12:56 Martin Maciaszek
From: Martin Maciaszek @ 2002-07-16 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I tried installing plan9 on an old Compaq Deskpro 2000. The first
problem was easily solved. Even though plan9 supports the Cirrus Logic
GD 5436 the integrated graphics adapter didn't get recognized. After
entering the vendor id and device id into the vgadb (vid=0x1013
did=0x00ac) I got the setup running smoothly. Until I encountered the
"no physical memory" problem. I read the FAQ about this problem and
tried to fiddle with some settings in the computer setup (those
machines don't have a built in bios setup. You have to boot a setup
diskette) but couldn't solve this problem.

Is there any chance to get Plan9 working on this machine? (I've got 4
identical machines which would be a nice cluster)

Cheers
Martin

* Re: [9fans] no luck for plan9 on compaq deskpro 2000?
@ 2002-07-16 15:22 ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2002-07-16 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Martin Maciaszek wrote:
> Is there any chance to get Plan9 working on this machine? (I've got 4
> identical machines which would be a nice cluster)

I had the same issue on a Dell OptiPlex GL5100, but interestingly only
during installation.

My workaround was to do the install on a separate machine and move the
hard drive over.  Everything worked like a charm.

Also, now that it boots off the fileserver, it's just not an issue at all.

-Jack