* [9fans] only old hardware supported?
@ 2002-08-01  8:51 Phil Roessler
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Phil Roessler @ 2002-08-01  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm thinking of trying out Plan9 as I have a general interest in OSs and
maybe even want to get involved in the further development.
I'm not an expert in hardware but the supported HW list in the Plan9
FAQs gives me the impression that only outdated HW - especially only old
graphics cards - are supported. So maybe Plan9 wouldn't even run on the
new computer which I want to buy, right!

Phil

* [9fans] Re: only old hardware supported?
@ 2002-08-02 13:51 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-08-02 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> How do other OSs (e.g. the various BSDs) overcome this problem? Do they
> build their own drivers? How diffcult is this on Plan9?

The various BSDs all run XFree86.  XFree86 overcomes this
problem by having orders of magnitude more driver writers
than Plan 9 does.

Russ