* RE: [9fans] just for kicks?
@ 2003-01-29 15:37 ` Nigel Roles
From: Nigel Roles @ 2003-01-29 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You want meaning 5b of Websters on-line, noun "kick".

"a stimulating or pleasurable effect or experience"

As in Cole Porter's "I get a kick out of you".

From: Jason Gurtz @ 2003-01-29 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Andrey S. Kukhar wrote:
> i am now in rereading some wiki docs
> (about Fossil, bootdir, ...) and can`t
> fully understand what means the expression
> ``for kicks'' or ``just for kicks''. i know
> what means ``just for fun'' :)

In addition to being just for the fun of it, I always took the phrase to
also mean that there was some challenge (that was fun) and that there
was no pressing need to do the task in question except that it would be
fun and maybe challenging to do it.

Basicaly, there is no boss leaning over your shoulder, forcing you to do
it.  :)

Cheers,

~Jason

* Re: [9fans] just for kicks?
@ 2003-01-29 16:12 ` bbourg
From: bbourg @ 2003-01-29 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"Andrey S. Kukhar" wrote:

> hi,
> sorry for (may be) the simple question,
> i am now in rereading some wiki docs
> (about Fossil, bootdir, ...) and can`t
> fully understand what means the expression
> ``for kicks'' or ``just for kicks''. i know
> what means ``just for fun'' :) Could you
> please describe it or give me a synonym.
> thanx
>
> kyxap

"Just for {fun | kicks | grins}" are synonymous and differ
mainly by the age or peer group using them. There are some
subtle differences in connotation, but let's not kick up a
fuss. I'm not sure of the derivation for the use of "kicks"
in this context; but I won't let that stop me from
speculating. It is iconic that as kids--a human child not
the baby goat--we enjoyed walking around kicking pebbles,
tin cans, rocks, and dirt in our wanderings. If not a fun
activity at least it was satisfying. I suspect that this is
a universal activity. Other phrases including kick are:
"kickin'!" - used by the younger generation for something
that is really good and "kick-ass", as in that "movie was
really kick-ass"; and "kicking up dust" - a metaphor for
drawing attention to oneself or making a scene or spectacle.

You may already be aware that "thankx" may be perceived as a
playful misspelling of "thanks" in an informal context but
will get red marked and -10 points on a formal composition.

Hope that helps.

Later, Bob

p.s. We might want to keep these discussions off the 9fans
list in future. The purists and more instructive members may
kick up a fuss is we get off-topic.

mailto:bbourg@ccsi.com
--
"The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all
possible worlds; the pessimist fears this is true."

* Re: [9fans] just for kicks?
@ 2003-01-29 16:35   ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2003-01-29 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

bbourg@ccsi.com wrote:

>"Just for {fun | kicks | grins}" are synonymous and differ
>mainly by the age or peer group using them.

Kick-ass digression, dude!

* [9fans] just for kicks?
@ 2003-01-29 21:33 Andrey S. Kukhar
                   ` (2 more replies)