* [9fans] Any chance of reviving CDA?
@ 2003-03-05 21:30 Joel Salomon
From: Joel Salomon @ 2003-03-05 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The "historic" papers page on the wiki mention "Circuit Design Aids for
Plan 9" from the first edition. Is anything left from that project?
I am starting a digital logic design class at school and thought this
might be helpful to me.

--Joel

* Re: [9fans] Any chance of reviving CDA?
@ 2003-03-05 22:14 ` northern snowfall
From: northern snowfall @ 2003-03-05 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

This would help me out alot, too.
Don

* Re: [9fans] Any chance of reviving CDA?
@ 2003-03-06 15:14 ` rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2003-03-06 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The "historic" papers page on the wiki mention "Circuit Design Aids for
> Plan 9" from the first edition. Is anything left from that project?
> I am starting a digital logic design class at school and thought this
> might be helpful to me.

Someone at the labs will have to figure out if the software can be sprung.
It has not been released under the Plan 9 license.

I doubt the value of the software, however.  It is to modern circuit design
tools what bare, unmacroed troff is to Word or Frame.  Teaching a course
with it would be unwise, in my opinion.  Its interface is too old-fashioned
and esoteric even in that context, and it was developed in a very different
age of hardware, with lots of TTL DIPs and no ASICs, some PALs but no
FPGAs, wire wrap but no PCBs.  Also, maintaining the data that describes
the parts was a pain, and you'd have at least a decade of catch-up to do
before even starting.

There are some nice pieces of software in their, most notably the tool
for Quine-McClusky reduction, but it would be a lot of work to connect
that to modern components and there must be other such tools available
today.

Seriously, I doubt you'd find it a wise place to start.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] Any chance of reviving CDA?
@ 2003-03-07  1:07 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2003-03-07  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>Kenji

Awawawa, I happened to make mistake.
I wanted to push 'Del" button, but 'Post' real...
Sorry about that.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] Any chance of reviving CDA?
@ 2003-03-07  1:05 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2003-03-07  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Probably, if you say why "that" is not included in the present distribution,
although it was included before, you are makeing pressure to the
developpers of Plan 9.   At least, they may feel so.

This is my proposal to them open.☺

You don't need to feel pressure, if it concerns with applications.
It is applications what make OS usable or attractive to ordinally
people like me.   However, all human has their own limits in given
abilities.

Kenji

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2100 bytes --]

From: Joel Salomon <salomo3@cooper.edu>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] Any chance of reviving CDA?
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 13:40:14 -0500 (EST)

I meant that I am *taking* a digital logic design class at school, and
thought the software might be useful in chip/board layout.

There are programs to do this under windows, but CDA would give me an
excuse to play with plan9 under the guise of doing schoolwork ;-)

@ 2003-03-06 19:35 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-03-06 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

When I was taking a digital logic class a few years
ago I reread the CDA documentation, though not the
actual code.  As Rob said, it's very out-of-date.
It's almost certainly not worth the work of getting
it released.

* [9fans] Any chance of reviving CDA?
@ 2003-03-06 18:40 Joel Salomon