* [9fans] Virgin newbie says 'Hi'
@ 2003-04-07  9:07 Kevin Lawton
From: Kevin Lawton @ 2003-04-07  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've only just found out about plan9 -  visited the Bell Labs site, etc -
and fancy giving it a try.
Would anyone like to give some tips to a plan9 newbie ? (prospective newbie
?)
I have a couple of machines which I could use for installation of plan9 - I
currently have Win 2K, Linux, BeOS, Minix and CP/M multi-booting on these. I
guess adding plan9 won't be impossible, but I'd appreciate any advice so I
might avoid some of the pitfalls.
Thanks in advance.
Kevin.

* Re: [9fans] Virgin newbie says 'Hi'
@ 2003-04-07  9:42 ` matt
From: matt @ 2003-04-07  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 > I'd appreciate any advice so I might avoid some of the pitfalls.

The biggest initial hurdle is the graphics card and, to a lesser extent,
the other hardware.

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/supported_PC_hardware/index.html

Fortunately you'll know from just booting the install floppy whether
your kit will work.

After that it's generally plain sailing

you can find some installation help in the Wiki

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Installation_instructions/index.html

And, of course, the people round here are usually happy to help.  The
community is still small enough that it doesn't get a constant flood of
newbie "help me" mail that just gets RTFM replies 8)