* [9fans] anyone else notice this expecation
@ 2003-04-17 16:27 matt
From: matt @ 2003-04-17 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

there I am with 3 rows of windows in Acme

The top one is too small and the middle one I've lost interest in

I close the middle one expecting it to reveal more of the top window but
instead the one at the bottom gets bigger and I have the same obscured
view. So I close the middle one again, if there are a few windows I
might end up doing it to them all.

My conceptual view of how 3 pieces of paper stack on top of each other
is mis-represented by the interface.

It's like trying to put a can of pop back in a gravity fed dispenser.

maybe it's someone's way of getting me to close my windows more often

* Re: [9fans] anyone else notice this expecation
@ 2003-04-17 16:49 ` rog
From: rog @ 2003-04-17 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I close the middle one expecting it to reveal more of the top window but
> instead the one at the bottom gets bigger and I have the same obscured
> view. So I close the middle one again, if there are a few windows I
> might end up doing it to them all.

this is useful if you're closing a load of windows: the tag on the
next window down the column ends up very close to the mouse when
you've deleted a window.

middle-button-click on that little square to the left of the tag is
your friend...

i do get acme window clutter all the time, and i haven't worked out a
good solution yet.  i did experiment with giving acme a "Hide" command
(with equivalent Edit 'H' command) but stalled on bugs in my
implementation and the thought that it probably wouldn't be that good
in practise.

speaking of acme enhancements, i've been running now for some time
with a version of the plumber that implements "plumbing priority"
(i.e.  most messages get sent to one app only, the one that's most
recently asked for them).  other ports can be marked broadcast (e.g.
mail message notifications).  it works fine, seems completely natural;
i haven't distributed it because as implemented you can't change a
port's broadcast status (not sure how it should work in the syntax).
if anyone's interested, let me know.

  cheers,
    rog.

* Re: [9fans] anyone else notice this expecation
@ 2003-04-17 16:50   ` rsc
From: rsc @ 2003-04-17 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i use this to clean up unnecessary windows.
it's a big hammer, but it does the job.

g% cat /bin/Clean
#!/bin/rc

rfork e

if(~ $#* 0)
	pattern=.
if not
	pattern=$1

cd /mnt/acme
for (i in [0-9]*){
	if(test -d $i){
		tag=`{cat $i/tag}
		tagline = $"tag
		file=$tag(1)

		# must match our pattern if given, must be a clean window,
		# and must not be an Errors window, mail, or win.

		if(! ~ $file */ *+Errors* */-* */mail/* && ! ~ $tagline *Put*
		&& echo $file | grep $pattern >/dev/null >[2]/dev/null)
			echo del >$i/ctl
	}
}
status=''
g%

* Re: [9fans] anyone else notice this expecation
@ 2003-04-17 17:20     ` rog
From: rog @ 2003-04-17 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> i use this to clean up unnecessary windows.
> it's a big hammer, but it does the job.

sometimes i want more screen space but don't
want to stop editing the current files...

* Re: [9fans] anyone else notice this expecation
@ 2003-04-18  0:36       ` okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2003-04-18  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> sometimes i want more screen space but don't
> want to stop editing the current files...

Probably, you guys are using notebook XGA?
I feel it does not have enough space for Plan 9 terminal,
because Plan 9 usues tiled windows.    So, I don't want
to live with notebook for Plan 9.  ☺

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] anyone else notice this expecation
@ 2003-04-20 19:33         ` rog
From: rog @ 2003-04-20 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Probably, you guys are using notebook XGA?
> I feel it does not have enough space for Plan 9 terminal,
> because Plan 9 usues tiled windows.    So, I don't want
> to live with notebook for Plan 9.

my notebook screen is 1400x1050, but it's still not
large enough when i want to edit a couple of hundred
files at once...

i think the solution is probably to have a central
acme/sam-like server, so i can be using several clients
to  edit the same files without conflicts
and with whatever UI is appropriate.

i think rob had this idea.

* Re: [9fans] anyone else notice this expecation
@ 2003-04-20 19:51           ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-04-20 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> my notebook screen is 1400x1050, but it's still not
> large enough when i want to edit a couple of hundred
> files at once...

that's what sam is for.

> i think the solution is probably to have a central
> acme/sam-like server, so i can be using several clients
> to  edit the same files without conflicts
> and with whatever UI is appropriate.

how does this solve the screen real estate problem?

* Re: [9fans] anyone else notice this expecation
@ 2003-04-22 11:31             ` rog
From: rog @ 2003-04-22 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > i think the solution is probably to have a central
> > acme/sam-like server, so i can be using several clients
> > to  edit the same files without conflicts
> > and with whatever UI is appropriate.
>
> how does this solve the screen real estate problem?

it means i could use a sam -d like interface
to edit lots of files at once without worrying
about whether some of those same files are
currently being edited inside an acme
session.

it's annoying when that happens, because
i then have to try to merge the disparate
changes made in each version, which
is error prone (i've been bitten a fair few times)

* Re: [9fans] anyone else notice this expecation
@ 2003-04-22 13:10               ` matt
From: matt @ 2003-04-22 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I found where my expectation came from

Wily does what I was expecting Acme to do.