* [9fans] page: can't find $wsys
@ 2003-05-27  9:22 Sean Dolan
From: Sean Dolan @ 2003-05-27  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi people,

I created the primary partition (1.2Gb) and filesystem (default), and
told the installer where to locate the iso.

The installation seemed to be progressing smoothly untill I got to:
Task to do [copydist]:
After hitting return I got
page: can't find $wsys

and then the BCOD (Blinking Cursor of Death) :)

I had tried the net install and gotten the same message, so I wgot the
iso and copied it to a fat partition and here I am.

--
Sean Dolan

* Re: [9fans] page: can't find $wsys
@ 2003-05-27 14:47 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-05-27 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Are you doing a text-only install?
Is there any disk activity?

Russ

* Re: [9fans] page: can't find $wsys
@ 2003-05-27 16:23   ` Sean Dolan
From: Sean Dolan @ 2003-05-27 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Russ Cox wrote:
> Are you doing a text-only install?
> Is there any disk activity?
>
> Russ

Yes Russ, text only. Rio failed to load (nvidia agp) so I opted for the
text install. The plan was to get Plan9 installed, then work on the
display problem.

As far as disk activity, none that I could tell. Control key strokes ^c
^d, etc result in control characters being displayed on the screen.
I think the FAQ, or perhaps the trouble shooting guide mentioned using
^d as a way to escape back to the previous task, but the only key stroke
I could get to work was the ol' 3 fingered salute...Ctrl + Alt + Delete.
Which of course, results in a reboot on my x86 box.

If I knew what $wsys referred to I could probably trouble shoot this on
my own.

I just did another search and found a reference
http://darkuncle.net/plan9/
saying "page: can't find $wsys" isnt an error message. And there is no
progress displayed to the screen at this point. I'm going to start the
install again and give it a good half hour (dual 1.2Ghz AMD 512Mb DDR)
and see what's what.

I'll post again...

Thanks for the reply Russ.

--
Sean Dolan

* [9fans] Re: page: can't find $wsys
@ 2003-05-28  8:34 ` Sean Dolan
From: Sean Dolan @ 2003-05-28  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Ok, I just needed to have a bit of patience. After "page: can't find
$wsys" was displayed, I waited... 10 minutes later the task completed
and the installation moved to the boot option task. (A simple
incrementing # during the copy would have been nice) I chose to create a
boot floppy. I'll add a grub entry later. That task completed and I was
informed the installation had completed succesfully.

Yaaaaaaaaa!

So... put the Plan9 installation floppy back in so the state data could
be written to it. Replace it with the boot floppy and reboot...

PBS...Plan 9 from Bell Labs
ELCR: 0C20
(
Approx 1/2 page of info that, if needed, I can post
)
panic: exception/interrupt 14

Booooooooo!

14? why... thats my IDE controller interrupt. The partition I had the
Plan 9 install util create, is a 1.2Gb primary partition at the
beginning of a 30Gb HDD. The HDD is the 2nd on the secondary IDE.
(/dev/hdd1 from within Debian)

I mounted this partiton from Debian, and found 3 entries:

-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root            0 May 27 08:49 4e
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       180040 May 27 08:49 9load
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          518 May 27 09:41 plan9.ini

I added debug=1 to plan9.ini, but it didn't produce any extra output
at boot.

--
Sean Dolan

* Re: [9fans] Re: page: can't find $wsys
@ 2003-05-28 14:07   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-05-28 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> and the installation moved to the boot option task. (A simple
> incrementing # during the copy would have been nice) I chose to create a

If you were running vga, you would have had this.

> panic: exception/interrupt 14
> 14? why... thats my IDE controller interrupt. The partition I had the

No it's not.  It's a page fault.  It's software interrupt (exception) 14.

Try adding

	*nousbprobe=1
	*noetherprobe=1

to plan9.ini on the boot floppy.  If that doesn't help, try copying the
9load file from your install floppy to the boot floppy.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Re: page: can't find $wsys
@ 2003-05-28 20:03   ` Joel Salomon
From: Joel Salomon @ 2003-05-28 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, 28 May 2003, Sean Dolan wrote:

> Ok, I just needed to have a bit of patience. After "page: can't find
> $wsys" was displayed, I waited... 10 minutes later the task completed
> and the installation moved to the boot option task. (A simple
> incrementing # during the copy would have been nice)

3e install gave a list of files as they were copied to the hard drive.
This vanished in 4e install, anyone know why? (This is the graphical
install I'm refering to, but the file list would have reasured Sean as
well as the #s would)

--Joel

* Re: [9fans] Re: page: can't find $wsys
@ 2003-05-29  1:28     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-05-29  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> 3e install gave a list of files as they were copied to the hard drive.
> This vanished in 4e install, anyone know why? (This is the graphical
> install I'm refering to, but the file list would have reasured Sean as
> well as the #s would)

Probably because I changed the software, hence the scripts, and
forgot to set the flag that makes that happen.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Re: page: can't find $wsys
@ 2003-05-29  8:45     ` Sean Dolan
From: Sean Dolan @ 2003-05-29  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Russ Cox wrote:
>>and the installation moved to the boot option task. (A simple
>>incrementing # during the copy would have been nice) I chose to create a
>

> If you were running vga, you would have had this.
>

>>panic: exception/interrupt 14
>>14? why... thats my IDE controller interrupt. The partition I had the
>

> No it's not.  It's a page fault.  It's software interrupt (exception) 14.
>
> Try adding
>
> 	*nousbprobe=1
> 	*noetherprobe=1
>
> to plan9.ini on the boot floppy.  If that doesn't help, try copying the
> 9load file from your install floppy to the boot floppy.
>
> Russ

No dice, Russ. Same panic message. I'm going to give up for now. I'll
try again when I feel like putting more time into it. I built this box
less than a year ago, so all the components are fairly fresh. Plan 9
will probably install on one of my older boxen without so much as a
hiccup. I'll probably try the install on one of those.

But thank you for taking the time to lend a newb some advice :)

--
Sean Dolan