* [9fans] BOOTP vs DHCP
@ 2003-06-22  0:14 David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-06-22  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'ld like to have 9load/9pxeload only support DHCP, i.e., assume
its always there when booting over the ether.  Is there anyone
that only has BOOTP out there anymore?

* Re: [9fans] BOOTP vs DHCP
@ 2003-06-22  0:49 ` bs
From: bs @ 2003-06-22  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

David Presotto wrote:
> I'ld like to have 9load/9pxeload only support DHCP, i.e., assume
> its always there when booting over the ether.  Is there anyone
> that only has BOOTP out there anymore?
DHCP is the way to go. Setup is pretty easy for booting and a DHCP
server can be found anywhere in an enterprise.

However, I am a little confused in what 9pxeload actually does, or why
it has 'pxe' in it's name.

Does it use the 'next-server & filename' option from DHCP? or does
it need a real pxeserver somewhere to hand out layers and bootagents?

* Re: [9fans] BOOTP vs DHCP
@ 2003-06-22  1:05   ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-06-22  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

PXE BIOS's don't need a pxe server.  They just use dhcp and tftp
to pick up a program to load at 0x7C00 and then jump to it.

The only thing that's different about PXE BIOS DHCP's is that they
set the vendorclass to something starting with PXE.

PXE BIOS's do provide a 16 bit interface for doing further tftp's
etc but, since 9load already does all of that in 32 bit mode, there's
no real reason.

9pxeload is just a 9load that knows that it gets loaded at a
different location and that has to shift from 16 bit mode
to 32 bit mode when it starts.

* Re: [9fans] BOOTP vs DHCP
@ 2003-06-22  1:21 ` northern snowfall
From: northern snowfall @ 2003-06-22  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>I'ld like to have 9load/9pxeload only support DHCP, i.e., assume
>its always there when booting over the ether.  Is there anyone
>that only has BOOTP out there anymore?

I use BOOTP because it's a heck of a lot faster for me to set up
on any given OS than DHCP.

Don

http://www.7f.no-ip.com/~north_

* Re: [9fans] BOOTP vs DHCP
@ 2003-06-22  1:32     ` bs
From: bs @ 2003-06-22  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

David Presotto wrote:
> PXE BIOS's don't need a pxe server.  They just use dhcp and tftp
> to pick up a program to load at 0x7C00 and then jump to it.
>
> The only thing that's different about PXE BIOS DHCP's is that they
> set the vendorclass to something starting with PXE.
>
> PXE BIOS's do provide a 16 bit interface for doing further tftp's
> etc but, since 9load already does all of that in 32 bit mode, there's
> no real reason.
>
> 9pxeload is just a 9load that knows that it gets loaded at a
> different location and that has to shift from 16 bit mode
> to 32 bit mode when it starts.
So can we all boot from the labs extranet machine if we can dhcp/tftp to it?

* Re: [9fans] BOOTP vs DHCP
@ 2003-06-22  2:27       ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-06-22  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

yup

* Re: [9fans] BOOTP vs DHCP
@ 2003-06-22  2:38   ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-06-22  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I use BOOTP because it's a heck of a lot faster for me to set up
> on any given OS than DHCP.

Hmm.  I run the Plan 9 DHCP server and have to say that I'm quite
happy with how easy it is to set up.  I just edit /lib/ndb/local,
and start ip/dhcpd, and I'm good to go.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] BOOTP vs DHCP
@ 2003-06-22  2:46     ` Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2003-06-22  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 10:38:19PM -0400, Dan Cross wrote:

> Hmm.  I run the Plan 9 DHCP server and have to say that I'm quite
> happy with how easy it is to set up.  I just edit /lib/ndb/local,
> and start ip/dhcpd, and I'm good to go.

That can be said of a lot of services in Plan 9. I've found
sysadmin in Plan 9 to be much easier than any other system
I've had to administer. Sure, it has its quirks like any
system, but it's a giant leap from the nightmare *NIX can
be to admin.

--
Christopher Nielsen
"They who can give up essential liberty for temporary

* Re: [9fans] BOOTP vs DHCP
@ 2003-06-22  2:53         ` bs
From: bs @ 2003-06-22  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

David Presotto wrote:
> yup

Cool! Pls. let us know when there is a bootable kernel available for
tftp download. If we did a PXE server, we can have a menu of kernels to
boot from.

I was looking into PXE enabled network cards that Plan9 also supports,
and I can find an Intel PRO/100+ (82559 contr.) for $18. I need to see
if my RT311 DHCP server can be hacked.

When Hanger 18 provides me CPU/FS, i can do computing on the cheap :-)

* Re: [9fans] BOOTP vs DHCP
@ 2003-06-22  2:56           ` bs
From: bs @ 2003-06-22  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

bs wrote:

> David Presotto wrote:
>
>> yup
>
> I was looking into PXE enabled network cards that Plan9 also supports,
> and I can find an Intel PRO/100+ (82559 contr.) for $18.

I should have said Intel PRO/100+ Management PCI Adapter.

* Re: [9fans] BOOTP vs DHCP
@ 2003-06-22  4:14     ` northern snowfall
From: northern snowfall @ 2003-06-22  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>Hmm.  I run the Plan 9 DHCP server and have to say that I'm quite
>happy with how easy it is to set up.  I just edit /lib/ndb/local,
>and start ip/dhcpd, and I'm good to go.

Yeh, I run it on Plan 9 to boot my other Plan 9. Though, on
other operating systems, I prefer bootp. Just meaning that
I do, sometimes, prefer bootp and might want that option
in case I needed it in some odd situation in the future.

Don

http://www.7f.no-ip.com/~north_