* [9fans] inferno & plan9
@ 2003-06-25 19:55 Nikolay Paskov
From: Nikolay Paskov @ 2003-06-25 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm wondering is there any way to mount inferno fs under plan9 and vice verse.
There is possibility to run inferno with plan9 as host and the plan9 fs will
be visible but that's not the idea.

Nikolay

* Re: [9fans] inferno & plan9
@ 2003-06-25 23:49 ` Bruce Ellis
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2003-06-25 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i hacked srvold9p into a srvstyx so that we could import froggies
(which run research inferno) into the plan9 namespace.
i'll try and find the src if this is what you want.

> I'm wondering is there any way to mount inferno fs under plan9 and vice verse.
> There is possibility to run inferno with plan9 as host and the plan9 fs will
> be visible but that's not the idea.
>
> Nikolay

* Re: [9fans] inferno & plan9
@ 2003-06-26  0:47   ` Graham Gallagher
From: Graham Gallagher @ 2003-06-26  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

sounds excellent!

> i hacked srvold9p into a srvstyx so that we could import froggies
> (which run research inferno) into the plan9 namespace.
> i'll try and find the src if this is what you want.

* Re: [9fans] inferno & plan9
@ 2003-06-26 18:14   ` Nikolay Paskov
From: Nikolay Paskov @ 2003-06-26 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thursday 26 June 2003 01:49, Bruce Ellis wrote:
> i hacked srvold9p into a srvstyx so that we could import froggies
> (which run research inferno) into the plan9 namespace.
> i'll try and find the src if this is what you want.

If you have time for this. I'll be glad to see the code.

Nikolay

* Re: [9fans] inferno & plan9
@ 2003-06-26 18:37   ` rog
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: rog @ 2003-06-26 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

nikolay:
> I'm wondering is there any way to mount inferno fs under plan9 and vice verse.
> There is possibility to run inferno with plan9 as host and the plan9 fs will
> be visible but that's not the idea.

with the new inferno, there's no problem as long as authentication
is not involved, as they use the same protocol.

brucee:
> i hacked srvold9p into a srvstyx so that we could import froggies
> (which run research inferno) into the plan9 namespace.
> i'll try and find the src if this is what you want.

did it do the inferno auth protocol?

and... what are froggies?

* Re: [9fans] inferno & plan9
@ 2003-06-26 18:53     ` Nikolay Paskov
From: Nikolay Paskov @ 2003-06-26 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thursday 26 June 2003 20:37, rog@vitanuova.com wrote:
> nikolay:
> > I'm wondering is there any way to mount inferno fs under plan9 and vice
> > verse. There is possibility to run inferno with plan9 as host and the
> > plan9 fs will be visible but that's not the idea.
>
> with the new inferno, there's no problem as long as authentication
> is not involved, as they use the same protocol.

If  the fs is on remote computer? Is there any possibility to mount remote fs
without auth?  I thought that is 'impossible'. Hmm may be I'm wrong, have to
re-read the papers.

> brucee:
> > i hacked srvold9p into a srvstyx so that we could import froggies
> > (which run research inferno) into the plan9 namespace.
> > i'll try and find the src if this is what you want.
>
> did it do the inferno auth protocol?
>
> and... what are froggies?

* Re: [9fans] inferno & plan9
@ 2003-06-26 19:22       ` rog
From: rog @ 2003-06-26 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> If  the fs is on remote computer? Is there any possibility to mount remote fs
> without auth?  I thought that is 'impossible'. Hmm may be I'm wrong, have to
> re-read the papers.

yeah, it's no problem - it's just insecure, not surprisingly.

i just tried it; under inferno, i did:

	% listen -A tcp!myhostname!1234 {export /tmp}
	% ls /tmp | wc -l
	    168
	%

and under plan 9:

	% 9fs tcp!myhostname!1234 /n/temp
	% ls /tmp | wc -l
	    168
	%

authentication would be really nice though. it's been on my
"to do" list for ages; not hard, just a little tiresome.

* Re: [9fans] inferno & plan9
@ 2003-06-26 23:57     ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2003-06-26 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

of course it does authentication.  i'm not sure of the utility
of "security is easy if you have none" approach.

we chose not to try and look like 9P2000 because the
inferno security model is different and serves us well.
there is no auth machine in the picture.  and running
around changing boot roms because we are fixing
something that isn't broken is hard to justify to our users.

it's a good thing importing my play station namespace
to a plan9 machine where i can run all sorts of debugging
tools that i don't want to rewrite in limbo.

froggies are 4 processor ixp1200 network appliances.
see BLTJ  6(2), 6-17 (2002)  Wiley InterScience.
"Starburst: Building Next-Generation Internet Devices"

i'll put the styxsrv src on my web site sometime v.soon.
the implementation is somewhat novel.

brucee

> > i hacked srvold9p into a srvstyx so that we could import froggies
> > (which run research inferno) into the plan9 namespace.
> > i'll try and find the src if this is what you want.
>
> did it do the inferno auth protocol?
>
> and... what are froggies?

* Re: [9fans] inferno & plan9
@ 2003-06-27  1:33     ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2003-06-27  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

srvstyx at http://www.chunder.com/plan9/

* Re: [9fans] inferno & plan9
@ 2003-06-27 12:07       ` rog
From: rog @ 2003-06-27 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> srvstyx at http://www.chunder.com/plan9/

cool.  i like the idea of using inferno to do its own authentication
by bridging through to plan 9 via #C and /srv.  that was the bit i
balked at doing in C.

i had a 30 minute attempt at getting it working under our inferno -
almost but not quite, and no time left until monday.  i think that for
our stuff the auth stuff can remain the same and srvstyx can just
become a tiny program that posts its stdin to /srv.  (but i might be
mistaken 'cos that's the bit that's not working).

> we chose not to try and look like 9P2000 because the
> inferno security model is different and serves us well.
> there is no auth machine in the picture.

we still use the inferno authentication model, despite using 9p2000
for the file protocol.  it's orthogonal to plan 9's i think, as it
encapsulates the stream rather than being embedded in the protocol.

  cheers,
    rog.

* Re: [9fans] inferno & plan9 - first step on "The Ultimate Cool"
@ 2003-06-27 12:38         ` matt
From: matt @ 2003-06-27 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I like the idea of Inferno serving files to plan9, all is well and good
with that.

Especially with the new grid computing initiative at Vita Nuova

http://www.vitanuova.com/grid/demo.html

Some interesting services might well come out of that that plan9 can
take part in.

 > This allows a Plan9 machine to establish a connection to an Inferno
machine and import its filesystem.

Is there already a way for plan9 to serve files to Inferno (and/or
others) as this strikes me as the preferred option.
I can see that with some cruft you could persuade the remote plan9 box
to connect to you.

It may make those Ipaq's slightly more useful if they ran Inferno but
accessed the plan9 FS, chording isn't fun with a stylus !

as we were reminded earlier :

My ideal for the future is to develop a file system remote interface (a
la Plan 9) and then have it implemented across the Internet as the
standard rather than HTML. That would be ultimate cool. -- Ken Thompson