* [9fans] how to boot from hard disk?
@ 2003-06-27  8:26 Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2003-06-27  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've wasted a lot of time trying to get the following three OSes
to be simultaneously bootable from partitions on the primary
master IDE disk (using System Commander 8 as a boot manager):
	Windows Me
	Plan 9 r.4
	Solaris 9
Currently I have Plan 9 and Solaris installed on partitions
on other disks (IDE and/or SCSI) and they don't boot successfully
even though they have, in the past, on other PCs using System
Commander.  One possible factor is that I have 120GB and 95GB
IDE disks.  I would appreciate help getting bootable versions
working.  For example, can I boot via floppy then copy the
installed files to a partition on the primary master disk and
do something magic to install a working MBR?
I have figured out what "P.C." stands for!

* Re: [9fans] how to boot from hard disk?
@ 2003-06-27  9:42 ` Apurva Mehta
From: Apurva Mehta @ 2003-06-27  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 08:26:11 GMT
"Douglas A. Gwyn" <DAGwyn@null.net> wrote:

> Currently I have Plan 9 and Solaris installed on partitions
> on other disks (IDE and/or SCSI) and they don't boot successfully
> even though they have, in the past, on other PCs using System
> Commander.

What is the error you are getting when trying to boot plan9?

I cannot say anything about solaris, but can you try booting plan 9
from the disk without using a boot manager? If plan9 is installed on a
boot partition, you can try booting straight from the disk on which it
installed and see if that works.

If it does not, you might want to try making the plan9 disk a primary
master if it is IDE. I had a problem booting from my hard disk till a
week ago. I solved it by making the plan9 disk a primary master..

HTH,

	- Apurva

* Re: [9fans] how to boot from hard disk?
@ 2003-06-27 22:19   ` Andrey S. Kukhar
From: Andrey S. Kukhar @ 2003-06-27 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> If it does not, you might want to try making the plan9
> disk a primary master if it is IDE. I had a problem
> booting from my hard disk till a week ago. I solved it by
> making the plan9 disk a primary master..

Intresting thing,
I had inverse problem a few months ago, the system didn't
recognize my primary master HDD until I switched it to
secondary master.

	kyxap

* Re: [9fans] how to boot from hard disk?
@ 2003-07-03  9:35   ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2003-07-03  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Apurva Mehta wrote:
> What is the error you are getting when trying to boot plan9?

It varies, but usually it can't find a kernel and prompts
me to select a file ("fd0" etc.)  At that point I'm not
sure what to type, but anyway it's not what I expected.