* [9fans] inferno file servers on topic?
@ 2003-07-04 13:51 matt
From: matt @ 2003-07-04 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

now it seems that plan9 is capable of importing Styx servers to it's
namespace does that mean that people here are interested in home-brewed
servers (i.e. mine) ?

The particular reason I mention it is my latest server tabfs

It takes a tab separated file and turns it into a directory of
directories (one per row) of files (one per colum)

The directory names can be numbered or taken from the primary key (via
the supplied primary_key_index option)

such that the file
name   email   homepage
matt   matt@proweb.co.uk   http://www.proweb.co.uk/~matt
boyd    boyd@insultant.net    http://www.insultant.net

would be
% ls /data/0/*/*
/data/0/matt/name
/data/0/matt/email
/data/0/matt/homepage
/data/0/boyd/name
/data/0/boyd/email
/data/0/boyd/homepage
% cat /data/0/matt/homepage
http://www.proweb.co.uk/~matt

My post to the Inferno mailing list is here :
http://www.topica.com/lists/inferno/read/message.html?mid=806782871&sort=d&start=610

It still needs some work (the options are hardcoded atm. for instance,
and "new" works in the wrong way)

But I'm just exploring the concept to see if it's worth going with.

I think it's going to be heavy on memory, all the data is stored in
memory and it uses the styxservers helper which (presumably) keeps all
the filenames in memory too.

I'm about to throw a few hundred megs of httpd logs at it to see what
happens

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-07-04 13:51 UTC | newest]