* [9fans] Plan 9 install doesn't put the right MBR on the disk
@ 2003-07-15  5:17 Rob Ristroph
From: Rob Ristroph @ 2003-07-15  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

        The current Plan 9 which you download from Bell Labs is
        uninstallable on a clean machine.  It doesn't put the Master
        Boot Record on the disk during the install process, and
        various methods of writing an mbr (from another OS or from a
        Plan 9 floppy) make the boot process survive only a split
        second longer.

        Note that if you currently have a working Plan 9 on the disk,
        you have to wipe the MBR to replicate this problem.  You can
        do this by booting a dos disk and doing fdisk /mbr or with
        dd.  If you don't, you will install the latest Plan 9 and
        it will seem to work fine, but only because the MBR survived
        from your previous working setup.

        I have replicated this behaviour on two computers of my own,
        and even bought a brand new disk because I thought all my
        disks might be screwed; and on top of that I went to friend's
        house today and convinced him to take down his working Plan 9
        and try a fresh install on a clean disk, and replicated it
        there also.

--Rob

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 install doesn't put the right MBR on the disk
@ 2003-07-15 11:16 David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-07-15 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rgr, 9fans

I tried it on one yesterday and it put a working mbr on it.  Perhaps
I did something different.  I copied /dev/zeros to the disk before
starting to wipe out what was there.

Is it asking you to install an MBR?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3038 bytes --]