* [9fans] Check out my photos on Facebook
@ 2010-03-03 16:01 Rodolfo Garcia
From: Rodolfo Garcia @ 2010-03-03 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans Of The Os Plan 9 From Bell Labs

Hi Fans,

Thanks,
Rodolfo

http://www.facebook.com/p.php?i=100000778405052&k=Z6E3Y5P34Z5B6GFJPEV3QSY2PSIB42XBWW1WF&r

Already have an account? Add this email address to your account http://www.facebook.com/n/?merge_accounts.php&e=9fans@9fans.net&c=0bcc16f2a24a2ce5bef9b56393202361.9fans@9fans.net was invited to join Facebook by Rodolfo Garcia. If you do not wish to receive this type of email from Facebook in the future, please click on the link below to unsubscribe.
http://www.facebook.com/o.php?k=831da3&u=1790078836&mid=1f884f6G6ab26f74G0G8

* Re: [9fans] Check out my photos on Facebook
@ 2010-03-03 18:18 ` lucio
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: lucio @ 2010-03-03 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kix, 9fans

> I set up a Facebook profile where I can post my pictures, videos and
> events and I want to add you as a friend so you can see it.  First,
> you need to join Facebook!  Once you join, you can also create your
> own profile.

Is it just me, or do others also find that having to subscribe to
facebook to access its database is poor netiquette?

And asking an entire mailing list membership to join so as to see some
pictures even more so?

++L

* Re: [9fans] Check out my photos on Facebook
@ 2010-03-03 19:14   ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2010-03-03 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 1:18 PM,  <lucio@proxima.alt.za> wrote:
>> I set up a Facebook profile where I can post my pictures, videos and
>> events and I want to add you as a friend so you can see it.  First,
>> you need to join Facebook!  Once you join, you can also create your
>> own profile.
>
> Is it just me, or do others also find that having to subscribe to
> facebook to access its database is poor netiquette?
>
> And asking an entire mailing list membership to join so as to see some
> pictures even more so?
>
> ++L

Exceedingly poor 'netiquette', especially because you don't need a
Facebook account to view pictures hosted by Facebook. It is possible
to right-click on the desired picture, copy the image URL to the
clipboard, and then share that with anyone, no need for a Facebook
account.

John
--
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing" -- Rob Pike

* Re: [9fans] Check out my photos on Facebook
@ 2010-03-03 19:15   ` hugo rivera
From: hugo rivera @ 2010-03-03 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lucio, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2010/3/3  <lucio@proxima.alt.za>:
> Is it just me, or do others also find that having to subscribe to
> facebook to access its database is poor netiquette?
>
> And asking an entire mailing list membership to join so as to see some
> pictures even more so?

I doubt he did it on purpose.

--
Hugo

* Re: [9fans] Check out my photos on Facebook
@ 2010-03-03 19:27   ` Patrick Kelly
From: Patrick Kelly @ 2010-03-03 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lucio, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mar 3, 2010, at 1:18 PM, lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:

>> I set up a Facebook profile where I can post my pictures, videos and
>> events and I want to add you as a friend so you can see it.  First,
>> you need to join Facebook!  Once you join, you can also create your
>> own profile.
>
> Is it just me, or do others also find that having to subscribe to
> facebook to access its database is poor netiquette?

Let's face it, people don't behave on the internet, they don't have
much structure, guidelines or morals. The Internet is a pigsty and
those who add onto it keep the tradition alive.

@ 2010-03-03 19:52     ` Noah Evans
From: Noah Evans @ 2010-03-03 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

This has nothing to do with manners and everything to do with
facebook's defaults. If you search your email for the facebook
accounts of people you contact, facebook's default is to spam
everybody you know. One moment of inattention turns into mailing list
infamy.

@ 2010-03-03 19:58       ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2010-03-03 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> One moment of inattention turns into mailing list
> infamy.

So there is nothing wrong with my instincts that say that I should
stay far away from facebook?

++L

* Re: [9fans] Check out my photos on Facebook
@ 2010-03-03 20:09         ` Noah Evans
From: Noah Evans @ 2010-03-03 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lucio, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Do you care what people in your elementary school are up to now? If
not, you don't need facebook.

@ 2010-03-04  0:59         ` Jorden Mauro
From: Jorden Mauro @ 2010-03-04  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lucio, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 2:58 PM,  <lucio@proxima.alt.za> wrote:
>> One moment of inattention turns into mailing list
>> infamy.
>
> So there is nothing wrong with my instincts that say that I should
> stay far away from facebook?
>
> ++L

You are missing nothing worthwhile.