* [9fans] Hi
@ 2001-11-08 10:38 dReamh
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: dReamh @ 2001-11-08 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

What harware can i use to install this OS ?I nedd something cheap

[Moderator's note:  For plan9 the FAQ at:

 http://www.fywss.com/plan9/

 is a good starting point.]

* Re: [9fans] Hi
@ 2001-11-08 12:58 ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2001-11-08 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, dReamh wrote:

> What harware can i use to install this OS ?I nedd something cheap
>
> [Moderator's note:  For plan9 the FAQ at:
>
>  http://www.fywss.com/plan9/
>
>  is a good starting point.]

Paying particularly close attention to video (primarily) and network cards
as this OS is very sensitive to these. Even though the FAQ lists a
family(!!!) or chipset as 'compatible' individual manufacturer models may
still not work (we've seen BIOS rev dependenices on supported cards for
example).

             Day by day the Penguins are making me lose my mind.

                                             Bumper Sticker

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage@ssz.com
                           -====~~mm-'`-```-mm --'-

* [9fans] Re: Hi
@ 2001-11-08 15:06 ` Matt Senecal
From: Matt Senecal @ 2001-11-08 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I nedd something cheap

Do what I did. I couldn't afford the hardware. So I sent around a broadcast
e-mail at work/church/contacted friends explaining what I was doing
(learning about and evaluating Plan 9) and that I needed donations of junk
("working trash", something you're relieved to get rid of) hardware. It has
worked like a charm, and people have been very generous. I'm currently
making my third and last computer, a '486 terminal. Best donation so far: an
Abit BH6, 333MHz CPU, 196MB RAM, modem, SB 64, and Viper 550 video card. I
owe the donor lunch. :)

* [9fans] Re: Hi
@ 2001-11-09 16:31 ` Bill Marcum
From: Bill Marcum @ 2001-11-09 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

dReamh wrote in message <9beb16ce.0111071445.7ec2a6eb@posting.google.com>...
>What harware can i use to install this OS ?I nedd something cheap
>
>[Moderator's note:  For plan9 the FAQ at:
>
> http://www.fywss.com/plan9/
>
> is a good starting point.]

You can't get much cheaper than minix.  It can even be installed on
an 8088 with 640k RAM and 20 meg hard disk, or it can be installed
on an existing 386 or higher DOS/Win system without re-partitioning
the hard drive.

* [9fans] Re: hi
       [not found] <405863C6008D70AA@ms001msg.mail.fw>
@ 2004-04-13 16:04 ` Adriano Verardo