* [9fans] Getting qlock errors when trying to install
@ 2008-12-05 20:40 Sebastian Arvidsson Liem
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Sebastian Arvidsson Liem @ 2008-12-05 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi,

I've got my hands on a Intel Atom D945GCLF [1] board and I'm trying
to install Plan 9 on it. It's my first time so please be gentle. ;D

I'm using the Dec 5 2008 iso and it hangs on the following:

[...]
1014M memory: 256M kernel data, 758M user, 1383M swap
kfs...version...time...
qlock: 0xf018bb64: ilockdepth 1
qlock: 0xf01a1591: ilockdepth 1
qlock: 0xf01a1591: ilockdepth 1

The number of errors change (1/2, 1/5, 2/5, 1/4) but both addresses(?)
is
always there so far.

When booting option 2/3 I get a similar error:

[...]
kfs...version...time...
panic: ilockdepth 1, last lock 0x0 at 0x0, sched called from 0xf01bfce3
panic: ilockdepth 1, last lock 0x0 at 0x0, sched called from 0xf01bfce3
dumpstack disabled
cpu0: exiting

Thanks,
Sebastian

[1]: <http://www.intel.com/Products/Desktop/Motherboards/D945GCLF/D945GCLF-overview.htm

* Re: [9fans] Getting qlock errors when trying to install
@ 2008-12-05 21:55 ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2008-12-05 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i'm surprised: i ran plan 9 on my atom board. unfortunately that one is in production
use now so i can't test it with the latest iso. i've got another not yet in use
that i can try, but not until monday.

* Re: [9fans] Getting qlock errors when trying to install
@ 2008-12-08 15:04 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-12-08 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I've got my hands on a Intel Atom D945GCLF [1] board and I'm trying
> to install Plan 9 on it. It's my first time so please be gentle. ;D
>
> I'm using the Dec 5 2008 iso and it hangs on the following:

is there any way to track down this exact kernel?
9pccd from the install image, which i downloaded,
doesn't appear to have debugging symbols.  i tried
to build my own, but the addresses did not appear
to match.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Getting qlock errors when trying to install
@ 2008-12-08 17:04   ` Sebastian Arvidsson Liem
From: Sebastian Arvidsson Liem @ 2008-12-08 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Dec 8, 2008, at 16:04, erik quanstrom wrote:
> is there any way to track down this exact kernel?

Just point me to a plan9.iso with a known kernel and
I'll run that.

I tried an plan9.iso from Oct 12 2008 I found at
<http://www.kix.in/plan9/>. Same error (with different
addresses).

* Re: [9fans] Getting qlock errors when trying to install
@ 2008-12-17 22:27 ` Jon Dugan
From: Jon Dugan @ 2008-12-17 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Excerpts from Sebastian Arvidsson Liem's message of Fri Dec 05 12:40:49 -0800 2008:
> Hi,
>
> I've got my hands on a Intel Atom D945GCLF [1] board and I'm trying
> to install Plan 9 on it. It's my first time so please be gentle. ;D
>
> I'm using the Dec 5 2008 iso and it hangs on the following:
>
> [...]
> 1014M memory: 256M kernel data, 758M user, 1383M swap
> kfs...version...time...
> qlock: 0xf018bb64: ilockdepth 1
> qlock: 0xf01a1591: ilockdepth 1
> qlock: 0xf01a1591: ilockdepth 1

I recently put together a similar system but using the 945GCLF2 motherboard
[1]. I also got similar qlock errors.  I noticed that the kernel detected the
ethernet card twice and so I decided to try disabling the ethernet interface
in the BIOS.  The system booted fine after that.  I did have to put the SATA
controller in legacy mode for it to be recognized as well.  I think once I
build a newer kernel I'll be able to use it in native mode.  I'm using the
last ISO I had lying around which is from 24 Sept 2008.

I've since popped a 3c905 card in the machine and it's on the net.  Hopefully
tonight I'll have some time to update the installation.  Once I've got that I
can try renabling the onboard ethernet interface and see if it fares better
with a newer kernel.  If not I'll post the kernel I'm using somewhere so that
Erik or whomever else can take a peek.  Barring that I suppose I can just buy
a supported GigE NIC.

I might also try putting a Linux partition on here so I can try the lguest
port, but I'd really rather run on bare hardware.

This box is shaping up to be my home cpu/file server.  It's definitely not a
monster, but I think it will be more than adequate for my needs.

Cheers,

Jon

[1]: For less than $225 shipped I got the following complete system:

     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121359
     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134192
     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811154084
     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148262

* Re: [9fans] Getting qlock errors when trying to install
@ 2008-12-18  1:31   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-12-18  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I recently put together a similar system but using the 945GCLF2 motherboard
> [1]. I also got similar qlock errors.  I noticed that the kernel detected the
> ethernet card twice and so I decided to try disabling the ethernet interface
> in the BIOS.  The system booted fine after that.  I did have to put the SATA
> controller in legacy mode for it to be recognized as well.  I think once I
> build a newer kernel I'll be able to use it in native mode.  I'm using the
> last ISO I had lying around which is from 24 Sept 2008.

that motherboard uses the realtek gbe chipset.  the "8169" driver
doesn't appear to get along with the recent changes to the Block
code.  my machine rebooted too fast to get much useful information
(ya, ya, i need to get another serial card.  tell me about it. :-))
i backed those changes out and things work fine.  if the kernel
/n/sources/contrib/quanstro/9pccd.gz works for you, i'd think this
is very likely your problem.

as to recognizing your drives in "native" mode.  supposing it is
supported, the driver at
/n/sources/contrib/quanstro/src/9/pc/^(ahci.h sdiahci.c)
will do the trick, if your chipset supports ahci.  you will also
need to modify 9load to recognize your vid/did.  i'll
do that when i get a chance.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Getting qlock errors when trying to install
@ 2008-12-20 15:06     ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2008-12-20 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

this is what i've got in the motherboard i'm trying to get running in
my unwell cpu server. using your 9pccd.gz (just trying to get root
from *anywhere*, so i can see the disks), i get two of these:

panic: ilockdepth 1, last lock 0x0 at 0x0, sched called from 0xf0108802

right after i say root from tcp.

* Re: [9fans] Getting qlock errors when trying to install
@ 2008-12-20 17:02       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-12-20 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat Dec 20 10:08:58 EST 2008, anothy@gmail.com wrote:
> this is what i've got in the motherboard i'm trying to get running in
> my unwell cpu server. using your 9pccd.gz (just trying to get root
> from *anywhere*, so i can see the disks), i get two of these:
>
> panic: ilockdepth 1, last lock 0x0 at 0x0, sched called from 0xf0108802
>
> right after i say root from tcp.

acid: src(0xf0108882)
/sys/src/9/pc/trap.c:423
 418			if(vno == VectorNMI){
 419				/*
 420				 * Don't re-enable, it confuses the crash dumps.
 421				nmienable();
 422				 */
>423				iprint("cpu%d: PC %#8.8lux\n", m->machno, ureg->pc);
 424				while(m->machno != 0)
 425					;
 426			}
 427			dumpregs(ureg);
 428			if(!user){

i think you have a hardware problem.  sorry.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Getting qlock errors when trying to install
@ 2008-12-27 11:13 Sebastian A. Liem
From: Sebastian A. Liem @ 2008-12-27 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Simon; +Cc: 9fans

On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 11:18 PM, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:
> Did you ever get plan9 to run on the Intel Atom D945GCLF, I was planning
> to buy one to replace my old, power hungry plan9 server.
>
> -Steve

Yes, when I disabled the onboard eth card. I haven't had the time to try erik's
9pccd.gz.