From: erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] HTTP forwarding with aux/trampoline
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 16:56:45 -0400	[thread overview]

> aux/listen1 tcp!*!80 rc -c 'sleep 1; cat /lib/words'
what's the sleep for?

> (that is, the con(1) connection just waits and waits). With that
> threshold, I found:
>
> --rw-rw-r-- M 9714 akumar akumar 1447 Sep 27 12:52 tmp/170words
> --rw-rw-r-- M 9714 akumar akumar 1454 Sep 27 12:53 tmp/171words
>
> > Third, if you run hget on the machine where you normally
> > run listen1, can you fetch the page normally?
>
> I can get all of the data normally, *from* the httpserver, using
> hget on the computer running listen1.
[...]
> With the above test case of the first 171 lines of /lib/words,
> I tried `{echo mtu 1492 > /n/ipifc/0/ctl}, as well as other MTU
> settings (the default being 1514), but with none of them could
> I send all (well, I didn't get *any* output from con(1), so I don't
> think partial data was being sent either?) of the data out of the
> network (it worked fine on the machine running listen1, itself,
> of course).

why didn't you set the mtu to 1454?  you're setting the mtu on
the external interface, right?  if you set the mtu on the wrong
interface, the machine running trampoline will buffer and
refragment for the new mtu.

you could also use ip/ping -s $n to do a search for an acceptable
mtu.

- erik