From: Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] HTTP forwarding with aux/trampoline
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 10:22:12 -0700	[thread overview]

On Saturday, September 26, 2009, Akshat Kumar
<akumar@mail.nanosouffle.net> wrote:
> 'httpserver' is a server on a remote connection from
> where the following is run:
>
> aux/listen1 tcp!*!80 aux/trampoline tcp!httpserver!442

The thing to do is try to break the problem down
so that you can eliminate either the httpserver or listen1.

First, if you are not using hget to fetch the URL in question,
use hget.  That eliminates the browser.

Second, if you run

aux/listen1 tcp!*!80 rc -c 'sleep 1; cat /lib/words'

can you use con -l tcp!yourserver!80 to get all of /lib/words?

Third, if you run hget on the machine where you normally
run listen1, can you fetch the page normally?

I think Erik is right that you have MTU problems.  I think that
either the connection from 442 to listen1 or the connection
from listen1 to your client machine has its device MTU set
larger than some intermediate piece of network hardware
allows, so that once the packets get too big they just start
dropping on the floor, and for some reason the ICMP packets
you'd need to do path MTU discovery on that connection are
not getting through either.  But you need to isolate the
problem with a simpler test case first.

Russ