* [9fans] ati card
@ 2002-06-28  8:53 bigbinc
From: bigbinc @ 2002-06-28  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have another post coming on this, but I have to ask, my ati rage 2 pro
graphics card is doing some funny stuff once I boot off the hard drive.
When I am working with the installation disk, the vga is fine.  My theory is
that the install program is under vga and once I get plan9 installed it is
running off the rage graphics driver and hence is screwy.  Once I log in,
the screen is partially black and partially has some of the windows, it is
hard to describe but it is clearly messed up.  The text overlaps whenever I
scroll.  And there is a strange flickering white line in the upper right
hand corner of the screen.  I want to play with plan9 so I will just get a
new card, but I thought I would mention it anyway.

Berlin Brown
bigbinc@hotmail.com

* [9fans] Re: ati card
@ 2002-06-28 14:42 ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2002-06-28 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

bigbinc wrote:
> My theory is that the install program is under vga ...

Not the last I heard.  My guess is that for some reason the
video support and/or database aren't identical between the
installation system and the installed system.  This should
be easily fixable, but someone who really knows how should
explain what to do..

* [9fans] Re: ati card
@ 2002-06-28 17:05   ` bigbinc
From: bigbinc @ 2002-06-28 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Ok, I hate to bother you with such trivial things but it is all in good fun.
Ok when I installed plan9 with a permedia2 graphics card the boot disk didnt
work.  Of course it wouldnt work, the chipset is not supported.  I went to
my rage2 graphics card and low and behold it worked.  I went through the
install and everything went smoothly.  The vga windowed mode worked for this
rage2 card and the mouse worked great.  I chose boot from floppy because why
not.  Ok, so once I booted, I booted from lilo(linux) and the rio system had
stuff on there but it wasnt usable.  The windows were messed up, the text
was overlapping, yadda, yadda.  Tried boot from disk, same thing.  I got to
text mode somehow, and the vgasize is 640x480x8 which is good.  The monitor
is set at multisync75 and thats about it.  I figure it recognizes the card
and chipset but doesnt do it when I boot.  I am using glenda as a user.
When I type no user I get to text mode.

"Douglas A. Gwyn" <DAGwyn@null.net> wrote in message
> bigbinc wrote:
> > My theory is that the install program is under vga ...
>
> Not the last I heard.  My guess is that for some reason the
> video support and/or database aren't identical between the
> installation system and the installed system.  This should
> be easily fixable, but someone who really knows how should
> explain what to do..

* [9fans] Re: ati card
@ 2002-07-01  9:46 ` bigbinc
From: bigbinc @ 2002-07-01  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Ok, this is fun, my card is a mach64 not an rage2 so it should work at least
that is what the bios says on boot up.  Now, first off I am using lilo to
boot plan9, probably a bad idea.  Anyway, once I boot plan9 I get to a
prompt that asks 'root is from: [local!stuff.../sd0/fs] I press enter and
then it asks for user:[none] I type glenda and the rio system boots(all
messed up of course), I manage to barely crawl to a command line prompt in
one
of the windows and find the /n/9fat directory but nothing is there.  I
assume that plan9.ini is supposed to be loaded and this is why my windowing
system is screwed up.  So I guess the question is how do mount '9fat:' at
boot.  Once again I dont know what ini file the system is booting off of?