* Re: [9fans] Writing audio tracks with cdfs
@ 2002-08-20 10:35 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-08-20 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Do you know that your CD writer has the ability to
write audio?  My initial guess when I saw this
problem was that my CD writer simply can't write
audio, and cdfs isn't quite figuring that out.
I haven't been able to find out whether that's
the case.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Writing audio tracks with cdfs
@ 2002-08-20 11:42 ` Christian Grothaus
From: Christian Grothaus @ 2002-08-20 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks for your quick reply!

> Do you know that your CD writer has the ability to
> write audio?  My initial guess when I saw this
> problem was that my CD writer simply can't write
> audio, and cdfs isn't quite figuring that out.
> I haven't been able to find out whether that's
> the case.

I haven't testet it myself yet (I bought the CD writer only last
week). On the Mitsumi web page, they say it is possible. I could only
test it with FreeBSD, but to use cdrecord with ATAPI CD writers, one
first has to apply an kernel patch... I will try it and report the
results

Christian

* Re: [9fans] Writing audio tracks with cdfs
@ 2002-08-21  8:33 ` Christian Grothaus
From: Christian Grothaus @ 2002-08-21  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Christian Grothaus <cgrothau@mitch.hrz.uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:
> Thanks for your quick reply!

>> Do you know that your CD writer has the ability to
>> write audio?  My initial guess when I saw this
>> problem was that my CD writer simply can't write
>> audio, and cdfs isn't quite figuring that out.
>> I haven't been able to find out whether that's
>> the case.

> I haven't testet it myself yet (I bought the CD writer only last
> week). On the Mitsumi web page, they say it is possible. I could only
> test it with FreeBSD, but to use cdrecord with ATAPI CD writers, one
> first has to apply a kernel patch... I will try it and report the
> results

Just found out, that it is not that complicated. There is
'burncd' on FreeBSD for ATAPI cd writers:
I tried
    freebsd# /usr/sbin/burncd audio a*.wav fixate
and it worked.
Curiously enough, with cdfs, I can copy at first an empty file
to /mnt/cd/wd, then the audio tracks I want to /mnt/cd/wa and
then fixate the cd. However, my cd player interprets the data
track as an audio track of a few seconds length :-)

* Re: [9fans] Writing audio tracks with cdfs
@ 2002-08-20 10:18 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-08-20 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I discovered the same problem recently with my own
CD writer (on an IBM Thinkpad).  I haven't tracked it
down (I've been traveling) but hope to do so in a couple
weeks.

Russ

* [9fans] Writing audio tracks with cdfs
@ 2002-08-20  9:47 Christian Grothaus
From: Christian Grothaus @ 2002-08-20  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

i have a problem writing audio tracks with cdfs. I followed
the example from cdfs(4) and copied audio tracks from a CD
into /tmp/songs. When I try to copy them to /mnt/cd/wa,
only the first audio track is written to the CD and then
the wa and wd directories are removed! However, copying several
data tracks to /mnt/cd/wd works without problems. To be exact:
If there is a data track on the CD-R/CD-RW, audio and data
tracks can be written to it. My CD writer is a Mitsumi CR 480 ATE.

Thanks for any help

Christian