* [9fans] DNS dynamic update
@ 2010-03-17 21:43 Benjamin Huntsman
From: Benjamin Huntsman @ 2010-03-17 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi!
   I'm trying to set up an application(don't ask :) ) on my LAN that more-or-less requires the ability to perform dynamic updates of DNS.  I'm currently using a Plan 9 system to serve DNS, but DHCP is being served by a FreeBSD machine (because it supplies the correct info for non-Plan 9 hosts).
   Does Plan 9's DNS support dynamic update?  I've read the man pages, but it seems that the answer is "no".

Thanks in advance!

-Ben

* Re: [9fans] DNS dynamic update
@ 2010-03-17 22:15 ` Lyndon Nerenberg (VE6BBM/VE7TFX)
From: Lyndon Nerenberg (VE6BBM/VE7TFX) @ 2010-03-17 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> (because it supplies the correct info for non-Plan 9 hosts).

What info did your hosts need that Plan 9's dhcpd didn't supply?

* Re: [9fans] DNS dynamic update
@ 2010-03-17 22:50   ` Benjamin Huntsman
From: Benjamin Huntsman @ 2010-03-17 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>> (because it supplies the correct info for non-Plan 9 hosts).
>
>What info did your hosts need that Plan 9's dhcpd didn't supply?

Specifically, Plan 9's dhcpd does not supply a context-specific DNS suffix (ie, default domain name), which Windows systems need in order to resolve hosts by short name.  That is, if my internal DNS zone is home.local, and I have a system ns2.home.local, if dhcpd doesn't tell a Windows box that it's dns suffix should be home.local, then it will be able to resolve ns2.home.local, but not just ns2.

I looked at the dhcpd code, but it was easier to just have ISC dhcpd do the work on a FreeBSD system, since I already had it set up.  Plan 9's DNS does what I need it to (except the dynamic updates) and was easier to set up than BIND.

Thanks!
-Ben

[-- Attachment #2: winmail.dat --]
[-- Type: application/ms-tnef, Size: 2731 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] DNS dynamic update
@ 2010-03-17 23:35     ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2010-03-17 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It looks from my reading from of dhcpd.c that you could just tweek
windows (the registry I assume) and make windows ask for the domain,
in which case dhcpd should supply it.

If you hate this idea then I think the change to add windows specific
dhcp options would be easy - there is already a special case for plan9
clients.

FWIW there is another weirdness of windows, the windows DHCP server doesn't
communicate with the DNS server on windows, it expects the client to send an
Inform packet to the DHCP server telling it of the clients chosen name.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] DNS dynamic update
@ 2010-03-18 14:29       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-03-18 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> FWIW there is another weirdness of windows, the windows DHCP server doesn't
> communicate with the DNS server on windows, it expects the client to send an
> Inform packet to the DHCP server telling it of the clients chosen name.

i guess that's the great thing about standards — there are so
many to ignore.

i haven't had a lick of trouble supporting windows clients with
plan 9 dhcp/dns.  no one ever asked about short names.

- erik