* [9fans] Plan 9 for ppc
@ 2003-04-16 13:58 ron minnich
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: ron minnich @ 2003-04-16 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Google shows now real info on this subject.

What PPC platforms can run Plan 9? I suppose 'not MAC' :-)

ron

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 for ppc
@ 2003-04-16 14:06 ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-04-16 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

We're running it on a bunch of boards here.  The one sitting
in front of me is an xpc850.  We're also running on 8260's of
various flavors.  Unfortunately, none of them are standard PC's.
However, if the PowerPC in question has a well described board,
it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Others may have done more.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 for ppc
@ 2003-04-16 14:26   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-04-16 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, David Presotto wrote:

> We're running it on a bunch of boards here.  The one sitting
> in front of me is an xpc850.  We're also running on 8260's of
> various flavors.  Unfortunately, none of them are standard PC's.
> However, if the PowerPC in question has a well described board,
> it shouldn't be much of a problem.

xpc850 -- I see that is a motorola part, but do you have a URL for the
system. Also, 8260 is an old Power Mac, right?

ron

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 for ppc
@ 2003-04-16 14:28 ` Peter Bosch
From: Peter Bosch @ 2003-04-16 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> What PPC platforms can run Plan 9? I suppose 'not MAC' :-)

The 603e core is supported and we run Plan 9 on the PPC 8260
(i.e. PowerQuiccII), PPC 755 (embedded 603e) and the PPC Dave
mentioned.

peter.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 for ppc
@ 2003-04-16 14:40     ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-04-16 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

No URL.  We just have boards that we or other parts of Lucent
built all using 603e cores and that's what we support.  The 8260
is a kitchen sink chip with various serial interfaces that can
be microprogrammed into being different flavors of ether or serial
controllers, an MMU, a 603e core, caches, etc.

I really don't know what's in any of the MACs.  I just went to the
apple web pages and haven't been enlightened.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2140 bytes --]

From: ron minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Plan 9 for ppc
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 08:26:35 -0600 (MDT)

@ 2003-04-17  1:16 ` Geoff Collyer
From: Geoff Collyer @ 2003-04-17  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I described the work necessary for a Mac port in
news:<45427616dfeeac8239866d30aed7d071@collyer.net> of 29 July 2002;
see the archives and search for "Plan 9 port needs", or
https://lists.cse.psu.edu/archives/9fans/2002-July/019237.html.