* [9fans] "Btw, asshole the OpenSource movement was not founded by Linux Torvalds, but another American, Richard Stallmann."
@ 2005-12-12 21:56 andrey mirtchovski
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2005-12-12 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

it's monday, after all. some light reading:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/12/12/otto_linux_flyletters/

* Re: [9fans] "Btw, asshole the OpenSource movement was not founded by Linux Torvalds, but another American, Richard Stallmann."
@ 2005-12-12 22:16 ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2005-12-12 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Funny, I've never thought of the analogy between pouring through
horrible open source and a 26 hour flight from Paris to Sydney.
Both also require a reasonable amount of controlled drinking,
not mentioned in the article.

brucee

@ 2005-12-12 22:24 ` jmk
From: jmk @ 2005-12-12 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Whenever I see something like

	"Open source is what made chat, web site building, the whole Internet possible.
	Open source is why all your Unix boxes can compile something that works
	equally well on every system, using guess what, GCC, instead of the original
	proprietary C compilers by each vendors which were completely incompatible.
	Open source is what created great products like Firefox, Open Office and the
	Apache web server, the server behind the vast majority of web sites."

I am reminded of the opening paragraph in the BBC Radio Audio Help
Advice for Unix/Linux users, http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/audiohelp_nix.shtml:

	"We have found that the Real Player plugin, which is used by the BBC Radio Player,
	may or may not function fully depending on a combination of what flavour of
	unix/linux you are using, which browser you are using, which version of browser
	you are using, and which version of GCC built the plugin during installation."

@ 2005-12-12 23:01 ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2005-12-12 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs