* [9fans] My mouse did it again
@ 2006-08-15  8:07 Sascha Retzki
From: Sascha Retzki @ 2006-08-15  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi folks,

yesterday, my mouse did it again.. .

The effect is not reproduceable, yet it of course happens if you move the mouse a lot (which is, kind of ironically, when you are really working :P). Without any noticeable reason, the mouse starts to jump from one border to the other when you just try to move it, just like the resolution is 65525 ;)

This just happens with one axis at a time, so either X or Y, but I have seen both (yesterday was X-day, for example, which helped because I could at least point at a win in acme...)

Things to be noted: The mouse is an USB-mouse, connected via usb2ps2-adapter. I tried /bin/usb/ but I don't like to waste 90% for my mouse, so this is not an option. The system is kind-of up-to-date, maybe some weeks ago - I will really know how old it is when I come home and look.
I also tweak the speed of the mouse, I *think* accelerated, res 3, and I have set the mouse to be 'ps2intellimouse' so that I can use the wheel (in case that changes things). I will provide the missing information when I come home, in case they are interesting.

Maybe they are not. Has anybody seen this, too? In the last couple of weeks? Anybody got an idea what to do? How to debug that? Anybody can reproduce that (waiting for bugs to appear is so ....)? First update and pray, or first of tweak /dev/mousectl?

Mfg, Sascha

* Re: [9fans] My mouse did it again
@ 2006-08-15 22:41 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-08-15 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

You're supposed to be able to just stop moving the mouse,
wait a second, and it will correct itself.  Occasionally the
PS2 protocol skips a byte and the mouse driver gets confused.
This used to happen to me on a laptop with a trackpad,
especially if the trackpad got zapped with a static electricity
shock when I went to touch it.

The source is in /sys/src/9/pc/mouse.c if you want to tweak the
logic that tries to get out of this state.

Or you could plug your mouse into a USB port.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] My mouse did it again
@ 2006-08-16 16:22   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-08-16 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Also if you can get to a prompt, typing

echo reset >/dev/mousectl

often fixes the problem.  Getting to a prompt can
be difficult with a mouse that's moving randomly
around the screen, of course.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] My mouse did it again
@ 2006-08-16 17:11     ` Sascha Retzki
From: Sascha Retzki @ 2006-08-16 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Also if you can get to a prompt, typing
>
> echo reset >/dev/mousectl
>
> often fixes the problem.  Getting to a prompt can
> be difficult with a mouse that's moving randomly
> around the screen, of course.

Hehe

nevertheless a good tip.

Btw, I am so tempted to recommend making F1 create a new window, 25% x 25% of the screen size huge, with rc, in the foreground ;)

Hey, never checked that, is it possible to make such things up myself? I mean triggering commands on certain key events...

> Russ

* Re: Re: [9fans] My mouse did it again
@ 2006-08-17  3:47       ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-08-17  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/16/06, Sascha Retzki <sretzki@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Also if you can get to a prompt, typing
> >
> > echo reset >/dev/mousectl
> >
> > often fixes the problem.  Getting to a prompt can
> > be difficult with a mouse that's moving randomly
> > around the screen, of course.
>

> Hehe
>
> nevertheless a good tip.
>
> Btw, I am so tempted to recommend making F1 create a new window, 25% x 25% of the screen size huge, with rc, in the foreground ;)
>
> Hey, never checked that, is it possible to make such things up myself? I mean triggering commands on certain key events...

I'm sure you could code it up in Rio's source somewhere, I'm looking
for a nice way to simulate a middle click on a single button macbook.
:-)

@ 2006-08-17 12:59         ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2006-08-17 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

You can use the kbmap to define some keys as mouse buttons.
For example, we usually define left ctrl, windows, and alt as
mouse 1, 2, and 3. Works just great.

> I'm sure you could code it up in Rio's source somewhere, I'm looking
> for a nice way to simulate a middle click on a single button macbook.
> :-)

hth

* [9fans] links from /n/sources/contrib/andrey
@ 2006-08-17 13:15           ` bituman
From: bituman @ 2006-08-17 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

does anyone know why does links (the >text< browser) tells me the error msg:
imageinit: can't bind /dev/draw: Not a socket?
well i know the reason, rio doesnt start on my laptop : )
but why does links require it?
is there a way to compile it to work in plain text plan9?

* Re: [9fans] links from /n/sources/contrib/andrey
@ 2006-08-17 13:41             ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2006-08-17 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

links is not a text browser in Plan 9.

@ 2006-08-17 14:31         ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2006-08-17 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/16/06, David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/16/06, Sascha Retzki <sretzki@gmx.de> wrote:
<snip>
> > Btw, I am so tempted to recommend making F1 create a new window, 25% x 25% of the screen size huge, with rc, in the foreground ;)
> >
> > Hey, never checked that, is it possible to make such things up myself? I mean triggering commands on certain key events...
> >

> I'm sure you could code it up in Rio's source somewhere, I'm looking
> for a nice way to simulate a middle click on a single button macbook.
> :-)

Somebody needs to code up rio to allow for a key shortcuts file or
something, so I could just dump all my desired shortcuts into, say,
/usr/john/lib/rio-keys.
Hmm. Now to hide while people suggest that I get off my arse and do it myself.

John
--
"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers" -- Shakespeare, Henry VI

* Re: Re: Re: [9fans] My mouse did it again
@ 2006-08-17 15:30           ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-08-17 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/17/06, Francisco J Ballesteros <nemo@lsub.org> wrote:
> You can use the kbmap to define some keys as mouse buttons.
> For example, we usually define left ctrl, windows, and alt as
> mouse 1, 2, and 3. Works just great.

That's great advice, I'll take a look.  And thank you again!

Dave

> > I'm sure you could code it up in Rio's source somewhere, I'm looking
> > for a nice way to simulate a middle click on a single button macbook.
> > :-)
> >

> hth

* Re: Re: Re: Re: [9fans] My mouse did it again
@ 2006-08-18  3:50             ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-08-18  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/17/06, David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/17/06, Francisco J Ballesteros <nemo@lsub.org> wrote:
> > You can use the kbmap to define some keys as mouse buttons.
> > For example, we usually define left ctrl, windows, and alt as
> > mouse 1, 2, and 3. Works just great.
>
> That's great advice, I'll take a look.  And thank you again!
>
> Dave

On the macbook I've only got one ctrl and one option.. I'm currently
using a modified version of the function key mapped one.

Still works very nicely.

I like to be able to ^ttr to reboot sometimes and didn't want to give
up the only ctrl key I had.

Dave

> > > I'm sure you could code it up in Rio's source somewhere, I'm looking
> > > for a nice way to simulate a middle click on a single button macbook.
> > > :-)
> > >

> > hth

* Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: [9fans] My mouse did it again
@ 2006-08-18  4:06               ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2006-08-18  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I like to be able to ^ttr to reboot sometimes and didn't want to give
> up the only ctrl key I had.

i've remapped the caps-lock as ctrl as i do everywhere else. System
Preferences/Keyboard and Mice/Keyboard/Modifier Keys.

* Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: [9fans] My mouse did it again
@ 2006-08-18 14:38                 ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-08-18 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/17/06, andrey mirtchovski <mirtchovski@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I like to be able to ^ttr to reboot sometimes and didn't want to give
> > up the only ctrl key I had.
>
> i've remapped the caps-lock as ctrl as i do everywhere else. System
> Preferences/Keyboard and Mice/Keyboard/Modifier Keys.

Still need "alt" to type 1/2 etc :-)

The F keys work ok for me... they were set up by mac os x to control
hardware features by default (like dimming and audio) and it's easy
enough to hit the fn key for switching that mode :-)

Still, this is very useful as chording works.   I was having a
difficult time without that :-).

* Re: [9fans] My mouse did it again
@ 2006-09-07 10:09       ` Harri Haataja
From: Harri Haataja @ 2006-09-07 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 07:11:39PM +0200, Sascha Retzki wrote:
> > Also if you can get to a prompt, typing
> >
> > echo reset >/dev/mousectl
> >
> > often fixes the problem.  Getting to a prompt can
> > be difficult with a mouse that's moving randomly
> > around the screen, of course.
>
> Btw, I am so tempted to recommend making F1 create a new window, 25% x
> 25% of the screen size huge, with rc, in the foreground ;)

Of course tiling window managers are easy to control using just a
keyboard and no pointer action. Noticeably, ion scratchpad will pop up
(and hide) with one keypress and completely ignore the mouse pointer's
movements. Unless it's sending clicks, in which case you may need to
script a bit. ;)

--
...I've discovered the one thing worse than people who open attachments
from people they don't know.  People who delete files when instructed by